Guiseley and Woking stun league opposition in Emirates FA Cup

Tuesday 14 Nov 2017
The Emirates FA Cup at Wembley

Goalkeeper Jonny Maxted made two saves in the shootout as ten-man Guiseley knocked Accrington Stanley out of the Emirates FA Cup on penalties after a 1-1 draw in their first round replay. 

Mike Fondop stepped up to convert Guiseley’s final penalty to secure a 4-3 win in the shootout and send his side into the second round to face Mansfield Town for the first time in their history. 

National League side Guiseley had spent almost the entire second half with ten-men after Chris M'Boungou picked up two yellow cards. 

And they went behind shortly after the break when Stanley skipper Sean McConville headed Callum Johnson’s cross into the back of the net.

Emirates FA Cup
  • First Round Replays
  • Tuesday 14 November
  • By Andrew Lawton

But the stubborn lower league side refused to give in and earned an equaliser when John Rooney smashed a penalty straight down the middle with ten minutes remaining. 

Billy Kee and Scott Brown both saw their crucial penalties saved by Maxted in the shootout with Rooney making it 1-0 to Guiseley after two spot kicks each. 

Sean McConville, Kayden Jackson and Mallik Wilks all converted their spot kicks for the hosts but Guiseley saw Andy Haworth, Connor Brown and Fondop find the back of the net to send them through.

Elsewhere, goals from Regan Charles-Cook, Inih Effiong and Jamie Phipot ensured a second FA Cup shock of the evening as National League side Woking beat League One Bury 3-0. 

Charles-Cook was played in by Joe Ward on the half hour and calmly slotted the ball home from the right-hand side of the penalty area. 

And Effiong doubled the Woking lead at Gigg Lane after the interval with a fine individual effort which saw him curl the ball past Bury goalkeeper Leo Fasan.

Woking’s second round home tie against Peterborough United was secured on 85 minutes as Philpot capitalised on some poor Bury defending to poke home.

In Tuesday night’s final tie, Hakeeb Adelakun struck a magnificent long-range effort into the top right corner to give Scunthorpe United a 1-0 win over Northampton Town

United will face Doncaster Rovers away in the second round on the first weekend of December.

Leatherhead can look forward to visiting Wycombe Wanderers in the second round proper of the Emirates FA Cup after upsetting ambitious Isthmian League rivals Billericay Town in a first round replay.

After a 1-1 draw at Fetcham Grove last weekend, the two teams played it again in Essex on Thursday night and a brace from Jack Midson helped the Tanners defeat their big-spending opponents 3-1.

Adam Cunnington slid to bundle home Jake Robinson’s cross on the hour to put Ricay ahead but Midson headed home at the near post to level matters.

The decisive moment came seven minutes from time when the hosts’ Rob Swaine was penalised for a foul in the area, receiving a second yellow card and allowing Midson to make it 2-1 from the spot.

In added time, Sammy Moore rounded things off for the eleven men of Leatherhead, dispatching a low shot into the bottom corner and setting up a dream trip to Adams Park in December. 

On Wednesday night, Danny Lloyd hit a hat-trick for League One Peterborough as they won 5-0 at Tranmere Rovers.

The Posh striker had already hit the first two of his treble when the hosts’ Jay Harris had been shown a straight red card for clattering into Marcus Maddison.

Jack Baldwin and Maddison, from the penalty spot, rounded things off for Grant McCann’s men.

By FA Staff