The Vitality Women's FA Cup

Vitality Women's FA Cup: Second round proper wrap

Sunday 28 Nov 2021
Newcastle United Women helped clear the pitch before prevailing 4-0 at snowy Salford City FC

Clapton CFC became the first tier seven side to ever reach the third round proper, beating tier four opponents Hounslow in an instant Vitality Women’s FA Cup classic. 

The away side prevailed in dramatic style, winning 3-1 on penalties after extra time ended in a goalless deadlock to seal their second win from spot kicks in as many Cup clashes.  

Fans were on the edge of their seats throughout the cagey contest, which saw the underdogs hold their own in the first half. 

Hounslow settled in after the break and dominated possession, but the confident visitors resisted and benefitted from a fine performance by goalkeeper Polly Adams, who made several superb saves to keep her side in it. 

Vitality Women's FA Cup
  • Second round proper
  • Sunday 28 November 2021
Clapton fans flooded the pitch almost as soon as Hounslow missed their last penalty, celebrating their Cinderella side with flags, drums and rousing cheers.

The Greater London Women’s Football League Premier leaders, who also became the first side to beat opponents four tiers higher, will now anxiously await news of their next opponents - who could be a Championship club - in Monday’s draw.  

Elsewhere, wintery weather didn’t stop Newcastle United from prevailing 4-0 at snowy Salford City FC to propel them into the third round. 

Camaraderie preceded competition, with both sides lending a hand to ensure the Peninsula Stadium pitch was cleared for play. 

Both sides created chances early on, Ellen Packham nodding a potential opener just wide while Lauren Robson couldn’t put the finishing touch on back-to-back efforts of her own.  

Finally, with just four minutes remaining in the first half, Georgia Gibson pounced on a loose ball at the edge of the box and pulled the Lady Mags ahead with a powerful strike to the top corner.  

Katie Barker doubled the score with a lofted effort of her own on 69 minutes before adding another just four minutes later.  

A rocket from Kacie Elson sealed the win for the tier four side, who comfortably saw off their step-five competition in the blustery conditions.  

Some teams, however, were not as fortunate as icy temperatures led to frozen pitches and unsuitable playing conditions.  

Norton and Stockton Ancients LFC v Leeds United, Chorley v Bradford City, Lye Town v Northampton Town, Leafield Athletic v Lincoln City, Kent Football United v Chesham United, Sheffield FC v Huddersfield Town, Stoke City v Norwich City, Ipswich Town v Crawley Wasps, Brighouse Town v Farsley Celtic, Stoke City v Norwich City and Wolverhampton Wanderers v Nottingham Forest were among the matches postponed. 

Hull City Ladies’ home clash with Liverpool Feds at Haworth Park looked destined for the same fate, but an initial postponement was later overturned by the referee.  

The first half saw Liverpool pull ahead 1-0 through Chantelle Thompson before Katie Thompson struck the equaliser from 30 yards out after the break. 

The close contest was decided by the boot of Feds’ Jen Rogers, whose strike from five yards out clinched the upset as her tier four side ousted their tier three opponents from the Cup. 

And a historic run for tier seven side Netherton United was called ten minutes early due to worsening conditions, with opponents Long Eaton United claiming the 7-0 victory.  

Ashlee Hincks’ stunning last-gasp free kick on the stroke of full-time sent AFC Wimbledon back into the hat as they defeated FA Women’s National League Division One South East rivals Hashtag United

And just one goal also made the difference for tier five side Stourbridge FC, who went through to the third round after a tense 2-1 clash with tier four opponents Cambridge City. 

Esme Moran fired in the first for the Glassgirls, who also benefitted from a first-half own goal by Cambridge’s Lauren Tomlinson.  

Grace Stanley pulled Cambridge within one in the second half, but Courteney Murphy was unable to capitalise on a penalty, instead seeing her side’s Cup hopes blocked by the Glassgirls keeper.  

And in another historic upset, Ashley Cheatley, Lavana Neufville and Alissa Down all got on the scoresheet as tier five Ashford Town beat tier three opponents Oxford United Women 3-0 to advance.  

Six goals weren’t enough to determine a victor between Cheltenham Town and Southampton Women, who sit equal on points at the top of the FA Women’s National League Division One South West.  

The contest was eventually decided 6-5 on penalties, with Southampton booking their ticket to the third round. Elsewhere, Exeter City deftly dispatched Eastleighin the Community FC 5-0, while Portsmouth FC edged a 2-1 contest with AFC Bournemouth and Burnley prevailed 3-2 over rivals AFC Fylde.

Goals from Harriet Petley and Emelia Wilson lifted Loughborough Lightning to a 2-0 against Stevenage FC, Billericay Town sealed a 3-0 victory over Queens Park Rangers, and Southampton FC Women were dominant in their 7-0 away win at Ilminster Town.  

Meanwhile, West Bromwich Albion ousted Lincoln United 4-1 and Bridgwater United bested Chichester & Selsey 3-0. 
By FA Staff