The Isuzu FA Vase

Hebburn in heaven as Martin's late winner secures Buildbase FA Vase glory

Monday 03 May 2021
Olly Martin's winner came just five minutes after his introduction as a substitute

Hebburn Town lifted the Buildbase FA Vase for the first time in their 109-year history after Olly Martin's late winner settled a thrilling final against Consett at Wembley.

The substitute struck with seven minutes remaining to hand the Hornets a 3-2 victory over their fellow north-east side and ensure the 2019/20 trophy will head to South Tyneside rather than County Durham.

Four goals were shared in an action-packed first half as Consett twice led through Ali Alshabeeb and Dale Pearson only to find themselves quickly pegged back on each occasion courtesy of Amar Purewal and Michael Richardson.

The second period was a more tense affair though chances continued to come at either end, with Martin taking the one that mattered with time running out.

Consett v Hebburn Town

Buildbase FA Vase


1pm, Monday 3 May

Wembley Stadium


The Northern League Division One rivals were each making their first ever Wembley appearances but neither looked overwared by the occasion in a captivating contest.

Graeme Armstrong and Matty Slocombe missed the target with early sighters at either end before the game sprung to life with a flurry of goalmouth action.

Richardson was inches away from opening the scoring when his curling effort hit the bar in the 17th minute and Consett broke ruthlessly to break the deadlock themselves.

Pearson's backheel on the halfway line found Matty Cornish, who in turn released Alshabeeb - the Saudi Arabian student still had plenty to do after rounding Mark Foden but lofted a fine finish into the roof of the net from a tight angle to put the Steelmen in front.

Within a minute, however, it was all square as Hebburn hit back in style.

Almost from kick-off, Michael McKeown's incisive pass caught the Consett backline napping and Purewal - playing against his twin brother Arjun - kept his composure to slot home.

The lively spell was halted in unfortunate circumstances as Consett's Jake Orrell was stretchered off following an aerial collision, leading to a stoppage of around eight minutes.

Orrell's teammates were quickest to settle after the delay and restored their advantage on 41 minutes through the prolific Pearson, who picked out the bottom corner from Jermaine Metz's cutback to score his 47th goal in 55 games for Consett.

Again the advantage was short-lived, though, as the Hornets levelled matters a minute before the break. 

Captain Louis Storey's shot was saved following a quick one-two but when Darren Lough squared back into the danger area, former Newcastle United man Richardson was on hand to tap home from close range.

Calvin Smith fired a long-range effort over in the eight minutes of added time but it remained 2-2 at the conclusion of an entertaining first half.

Hebburn started the second period on top and missed a great chance to go in front for the first time on 56 minutes as Armstrong screwed a shot wide from eight yards out following good work by Tom Potter and Purewal.

Consett boss Terry Mitchell introduced Luke Carr, an FA Vase final goalscorer when Morpeth Town beat Hereford in 2016, on the hour mark and his side were next to go close as Smith's close-range effort was well blocked by Storey.

Metz had to be alert to clear Richardson's threating cross towards the back post as the last 15 minutes arrived with nothing to choose between the sides, who had drawn 4-4 in their most recent league meeting back in October 2019.

Potter had the ball in the net for Hebburn with 10 minutes to play but any celebrations were quickly snuffed out by the referee's whistle, the ball having gone out for a goal-kick before Lough could get his cross in.

Carr fired over when well-placed shortly afterwards as the end-to-end action continued but it was a Hornets substitute who had the pivotal say.

Martin had been on the field just five minutes when he calmly found the net from Richardson's pass with a low finish which went in via the goalkeeper's legs and the post to spark jubilant celebrations among the Hebburn players.

Consett forced a series of late corners but were unable to find an equaliser as Hebburn held on to win a hard-fought contest which represented an excellent start to Non-League Finals Day.

Hebburn Town: Mark Foden; Dan Groves, Louis Storey (captain), Danny Carson, Darren Lough; Tom Potter, Michael McKeown, Robbie Spence, Michael Richardson; Graeme Armstrong, Amar Purewal

Substitutes: Olly Martin for Purewal 78'

Substitutes not used: Jack Donaghy, Carl Taylor, Luke Hudson, Damen Mullen, Angelos Eleftheriadis, Kieran Hunter

Goals: Purewal 19', Richardson 44', Martin 83'

Consett: Kyle Hayes; Jermaine Metz, Arjun Purewal, Ross Wilkinson, Darren Holden; Ali Alshabeeb, Matty Slocombe, Calvin Smith, Jake Orrell; Matty Cornish, Dale Pearson

Substitutes: Nick Allen for Orrell 29', Luke Carr for Cornish 61', Carl Lawson for Holden 87'

Substitutes: Max Russell, Simon Jakab, Daniel Marriott, Josh Wilson

Goals: Alshabeeb 18', Pearson 41'

By FA Staff