Sixth-tier Kidderminster Harriers reach Emirates FA Cup third round

Sunday 05 Dec 2021
Ashley Hemmings scored Kidderminster's second in their 2-0 win against FC Halifax Town

Sixth-tier Kidderminster Harriers booked their place in the Emirates FA Cup third round draw for the first time in eight years after a 2-0 victory over FC Halifax Town.

Amari Morgan-Smith and Ashley Hemmings scored to dump National League high-flyers Halifax out of the competition in the second round.

The impressive performance at Aggborough leaves the Harriers dreaming of a money-spinning glamour tie as the lowest ranked side guaranteed a place in the next round ahead of Monday’s draw.

Emirates FA Cup
  • Second Round
  • Sunday 5 December 2021
  • By Josh Graham
St Albans City, who are eighth in the National League South with Kidderminster fifth in the North, can trump that if they beat Borehamwood in a Hertfordshire derby on Monday night following the draw.

The home side flew out of the blocks and opened the scoring against a side in the league above them just three minutes in when Morgan-Smith’s side-footed finish rolled into the net.

Things got even better less than a quarter of an hour later when Hemmings’ close-range drive doubled the lead to put the hosts in dreamland as they went 2-0 up in 17 minutes. 

Harriers held onto their lead and almost put the result beyond doubt 20 minutes before time when Elliot Bonds’ effort narrowly drifted wide.

Russell Penn’s men have now seen off two sides above them in the football pyramid having beaten Grimsby Town in the first round.

Earlier in the day, Plymouth Argyle struck a late winner away at Rochdale to secure their spot in the next round.

Substitute Luke Jephcott’s seventh goal of the season in the 86th minute helped the Pilgrims avoid a replay as they snatched victory at the Crown Oil Arena.

Jephcott had been kept on the bench by Ryan Lowe as the Plymouth manager opted to start Jordon Garrick up front and he was repaid immediately.

Garrick headed his side into the lead after 17 minutes but the tie was level when Rochdale midfielder Aaron Morley curled a lovely long-range effort into the net 10 minutes after the break.

The teams looked like they would have to battle again until Jephcott lashed home from close range after the ball fell to him from Jordan Houghton’s corner to ensure the League One side trumped their League Two opponents.

In the other lunchtime kick-off on Sunday, another third-tier side beat their League Two opponents 2-1 as Callum Lang’s double put 2013 winners Wigan Athletic through over Colchester United.

Gavin Massey’s cross found Lang at the back post who finished well to give the visitors the lead after 24 minutes at JobServe Community Stadium. 

Freddie Sears scored from the edge of the box with a lovely finish that went in off the post in first-half stoppage time to give Colchester a deserved equaliser.

Will Keane missed a great opportunity to put the Latics in front but Lang popped up again to put the tie to bed with a neat finish in the 75th minute.

In the day’s late game, National League Chesterfield shocked League Two Salford City with a 2-0 win at the Peninsula Stadium. 

Liam Mandeville’s stunning strike in the 28th minute gave the Spireites the advantage as Gary Bowyer’s men were left frustrated.

And Jim Kellerman’s late strike with four minutes left put the result beyond doubt and saw Chesterfield, who were missing 12 players amid an injury crisis, into the hat for the third round.

By FA Staff