The FA

Baku bag FA Futsal Cup

Goals galore as London Baku United and South London Ladies clinch silverware

Tuesday 20 Jun 2017

Jarrod Basger proved London Baku United’s hero with eight goals en route to lifting The FA Futsal Cup at the weekend.

The Australian scored five in the final to help defeat Sussex, adding to the treble he notched against Loughborough International in the semi-final at Wolverhampton University.

The women’s competition was won by South London Ladies with Charlotte Gurr, the former Arsenal, Chelsea and Millwall Lionesses winger, hitting a hat-trick against Preston Newall.

Men's Competition
  • Semi-Final: Manchester 2-5 Sussex
  • Semi-Final: London Baku United 9-5 Loughborough International
  • Final: Sussex 5-10 Baku

Sussex staged a remarkable comeback to win the first men’s semi-final 5-2 against Manchester.

Goals from Adam Oldham and Danny Stapleton had given Manchester a 2-0 lead, but Sussex hit back with a vengeance thanks to two goals apiece for Sam Cruttwell and Mario Cano, with Carlos Visiedo De Amo also on target.

Baku ensured they would join them with a 9-5 defeat of Loughborough International. As well as Basger’s hat-trick, there were braces for Marcello Graca and Seth Burkett, while former England international Robert Ursell and Diego Pagliuso chipped in with a goal each. Ben Amare and Ollie Brant were on target for Loughborough.

The tournament’s top-scorer Basger picked up where he left off with a five-star showing in the final, with a goal each as well for team-mates Diogo Da Silva, Tobias Seetho, Graca, Ursell and Pagliuso.

Sussex certainly made a fist of the final, with Sam Crutttwell and Segio Garzon each scoring twice, adding to Alan Forster’s strike, but Baku took the trophy back south to the capital.

There were an astonishing 20 goals shared in the first women’s final, Preston Newall eventually edging out Tyneside 12-8.

Nikko Berko netted six times and there were two goals each for Lizzie Chapman and Charlotte Higginson, plus one for Sammy Fleck and Rachel Warren.

Laura Hockaday struck four times to keep Tyneside in with a shout, Anna Collin (2), Kirsty Lincoln and Nichole Goundry Havery were also on target.

Women's Competition
  • Semi-Final: Preston Newall 12-8 Tyneside
  • Semi-Final: South London 4-3 Bath
  • Final: South London 8-3 Preston

The second semi-final proved a far closer affair, with South London Ladies defeating Bath 4-3.

Gurr and Emma Tune struck twice for the victors, with Amy Watham (2) and Samantha Holdsworth hitting back for Bath.

Despite a Higginson hat-trick in the final, South London Ladies won 8-3 with Gurr’s hat-trick added to by doubles from Tune and Jade Keogh, plus a goal from Charlton Athletic midfielder Nicole Pepper.

By FA Staff