Lincoln late show ousts Tranmere and sets up Whitehawk trip

Wednesday 28 Oct 2015
The Emirates FA Cup
Lincoln City struck two late goals to beat ten-man Tranmere Rovers 2-0 and reach the first round proper of this season’s Emirates FA Cup after a lively fourth qualifying round replay at Sincil Bank.

Goals from striker Liam Hearn and substitute Conner Robinson, in the 80th and 86th minute respectively, were enough for the hosts against Tranmere – who had battled hard with 10 men for 75 minutes after goalkeeper Scott Davies was sent off.

Emirates FA Cup 

Fourth round qualifying replays
AFC Rushden & Diamonds 0-1 Barwell
Cheltenham 1-0 Havant & Waterlooville
Chorley 1-2 Northwich Victoria
Guiseley 1-2 Halifax
Lincoln City 2-0 Tranmere
R Welling 4-0 Grays Athletic
Winning sides receive £12,500
Tuesday 27 October 2015


Despite Davies’ dismissal – for a clash with home striker Matt Rhead and his own centre-back Steve McNulty – replacement goalkeeper Iain Turner saved a first-half Rhead penalty.

But Rhead made amends with a header before a Robinson drive from the edge of the area made the game save and set the Imps up for a trip to Whitehawk.

Elsewhere, Xavier Vidal hit all four goals as Welling United beat Grays Athletic 4-0 to reach the first round of the Emirates FA Cup for only the second time in 10 years.

After a 1-1 draw in the first tie, Vidal put Welling in front on 22 minutes as he slammed home at the second time of asking.

Grays then missed a 50th-minute penalty as captain Sean Cronin’s effort was saved by the legs of Mike McEntegart.

And Vidal made him pay as six minutes later he doubled his and Welling’s tally with a header.

He completed his hat-trick just after the hour mark with a neat finish before adding a 76th-minute fourth with a cool finish.

Welling will now play Barwell after they squeezed past AFC Rushden & Diamonds 1-0 thanks to Brady Hickey’s header in the 70th minute.

Cheltenham Town were also 1-0 winners against Havant & Waterlooville as Danny Wright struck shortly after half-time to set up a first round clash with Hartlepool.

Abou Sanogo’s header with nine minutes left saw Northwich Victoria run out 2-1 winners at Chorley to set up a home first round tie with Boreham Wood.

The hosts led 1-0 at half-time thanks to Andy Bond’s free-kick only for Michael Roddy to level from the penalty spot after Brian Summerskill had been fouled in the box, before Sanogo won it.

And Halfiax Town also won 2-1 at Guisley, albeit after extra time with James Bolton struck a dramatic winner from 35 yards in the 114th minute.

Earlier in the game Sam Walker had given the visitors the lead on the half hour before Adam Boyes tapped home a 75th-minute equaliser, only to see Bolton make himself a hero and set up a clash with Wycombe Wanderers.

By FA Staff