How you report your concerns to The FA's safeguarding team – and how to whistle-blow

Reporting concerns

If you are an adult survivor of childhood sexual abuse in football, please follow the link below to see more information on support and reporting

Visit Section 9 - Support for adult survivors

If you are worried about a child, it’s vital you report your concerns. Doing nothing is not an option. It’s also important you stay calm, and if any child is present, reassure them they are not to blame. But don’t make promises of confidentiality or outcome.

There are five ways to report a concern:

  1. To your club or league Designated Safeguarding Officer – please find out from your club who these people are;
  2. To your County FA Designated Safeguarding Officer. Click here for a list of County FA contacts;
  3. By emailing The FA Safeguarding Team at;
  4. If urgent and you cannot contact your club, league or County FA Designated Safeguarding Officer, you should call the NSPCC 24-hour helpline on 0808 800 5000;
  5. If it is an emergency because a child or children are at immediate risk, then call the Police or Children’s Social Care in your area.

If you are concerned that someone may be behaving inappropriately, or is seeking to groom a child in an online environment, then please use the CEOP reporting button that will take you directly to the team at the National Crime Agency. You should also inform your County FA (see list of contacts) or The FA via

To find out more about staying safe in a digital environment, please read The FA's guidance below:

Section 6: Safeguarding in the digital world

In addition, watch below what the 2016 England captains had to say about ensuing everyone knows how to report a concern about a child.


Whistle-blowing in a safeguarding context means revealing and raising concerns over misconduct or malpractice within an organisation, or within an independent structure associated with it.

It can be used as an early-warning system or when it’s recognised that appropriate actions have not been taken. This approach or policy is adopted in many different walks of life. Any adult or young person with concerns about a colleague’s conduct towards a child or young person can also use whistleblowing by calling 0800 169 1863 and asking for The FA’s safeguarding team, or via email to:

Alternatively, concerns can be reported:

  • Direct to the local Police or Children’s Social Care services; or
  • The Child Protection in Sport Unit at; or
  • The NSPCC Helpline on 0808 800 5000 or email:

If you would like to learn more, why not complete The FA’s ‘Safeguarding For All’ free online course below:

Free safeguarding course

For more information refer to Guidance Notes 2.1: ‘How to report safeguarding concerns’ at the foot of this page.

Safeguarding is everyone’ everyone’s responsibility. Non-action is not an option.