The Emirates FA Cup

Take a look back at an action-packed week in the Emirates FA Cup fifth round

Thursday 05 Mar 2020
Odion Ighalo celebrates with Andreas Pereira after scoring his second goal
Partner Message FA CUP Homepage A 300x250

Odion Ighalo struck twice as Manchester United booked their place in the Emirates FA Cup quarter-finals with a 3-0 win over Derby County at Pride Park Stadium on Thursday.

Wayne Rooney almost scored against his former club as his free-kick was saved by Sergio Romero, before Luke Shaw opened the scoring on 33 minutes.

Shaw's volley into the ground, took a deflection off the back of Jesse Lingard before looping over Kelle Roos leaving both players claiming the goal for themselves.

United doubled their lead four minutes before half time when Shaw found Ighalo in the box, and the Nigerian squeezed past two defenders before finishing.

Derby threatened with Martyn Waghorn heading narrowly wide but Ighalo sealed victory with his second on 70 minutes. The striker's initial effort was blocked on the line before hammering home the rebound.

The hosts continued to plug away but were unable to find the back of the net as Jack Marriott's shot was brilliantly saved by Romero who also tipped over Rooney's free-kick at the death.


Sergio Aguero's goal proved to be the difference as Manchester City emerged 1-0 winners over a stubborn Sheffield Wednesday side at Hillsborough. 

The Owls managed to contain their opponents for the first half as a Nicolas Otamendi header bounced onto the crossbar with City unable to get a shot on target before the break. 

Benjamin Mendy was next to rattle the woodwork five minutes after the interval, as his rasping drive came back off the crossbar, before Joe Wildsmith was alert to keep out Bernardo Silva. 

The Wednesday keeper will be disappointed with City’s opening goal minutes later though, as he couldn’t keep Aguero’s strike out despite getting a hand to the ball. 

City continued to pressure after they took the lead, with Riyad Mahrez denied by Wildsmith on numerous occasions, but in the end the solitary goal was enough, as the reigning Emirates FA Cup holders progressed into the last eight.

Elsewhere, Leicester City were put to the test by Championship side Birmingham City at the King Power Stadium, before eventually running out 1-0 winners thanks to a Ricardo Pereira strike eight minutes from time.

In a quiet first half, the only chances of note fell to Kerim Mrabti who fired wide for the visitors, while James Maddison drew out a save from Lee Camp at the other end. 

The game opened up after the interval, with Maddison once again going close from a free-kick, before Kelechi Iheanacho had a goal ruled out for offside 15 minutes from time.

And just as the game looked set to be heading for extra-time, up popped Pereira to head in a Marc Albrighton cross to set up a quarter-final tie with Chelsea later in the month.

The final game to be concluded on Wednesday was Tottenham Hotspur's clash with Norwich City, which was decided by an enthralling penalty shootout. 

Jan Vertonghen got Spurs off to the perfect start, as the Belgian defender climbed highest at the far post to head in the opener after just 12 minutes at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

The Canaries had chances to get back into the game before the interval, with Emiliano Buendia keeping Michel Vorm on his toes, before Lukas Rupp had a go from distance which the Dutchman fumbled. 

And Vorm's night got no better after the break, as he let Kenny McLean's shot slip through his fingers, and Josep Drmic was on hand to tap in an equaliser for Daniel Farke's side.

Vorm tried to make amends in the shootout, saving McLean's first effort, only for Erik Lamela to see his next effort clip the crossbar and go over, before Tim Krul saved saved spot kicks from Troy Parott and Gedson Fernandes to seal victory for the visitors. 


Goals in either half from Willian and Ross Barkley saw Chelsea move into the Emirates FA Cup quarter finals with a comfortable 2-0 win over Liverpool at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday night.

Eight-time winners Chelsea started at a ferocious intensity and took the lead in the 13th minute when, having made a smart stop moments earlier, Adrian was at fault as he fumbled Willian’s powerful 20-yard shot into the goal.

Liverpool did have their chances, with Chelsea having goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga to thank for a trio of smart saves from close distance to deny the runaway Premier League leaders.

But the game was settled when former Everton ace Barkley delivered a moment of magic with a stunning solo effort.

The 26-year-old midfielder struck a fierce thunderbolt past Adrian at the end of a piercing direct run from the halfway line.

Pedro and Olivier Giroud, who hit the bar, had chances to extend the advantage further but Liverpool were ultimately dealt a second successive defeat in all competitions while the win moves the Blues a step closer to Wembley.

Meanwhile, Billy Sharp’s extra time goal saw Sheffield United into the last eight as they held off championship side Reading 2-1 at the Madejski Stadium.

The Blades made the perfect start when David McGoldrick headed home Ben Osborn’s cross in just the second minute.

But, despite being comfortable, Reading equalised when Andy Rinomhota was pushed over in the box by George Baldock and George Puscas slotted the resulting penalty into the bottom right corner.

The hosts scrapped away and, despite McGoldrick going close to a second with another free header, the tie had to go on for another 30 minutes to be settled.

However, Sharp ensured the visitors would live on in the competition when he headed home on the stroke of half-time in extra time. 

Elsewhere on Tuesday, Newcastle United reached the last eight for the first time since 2006 with a dramatic 3-2 win over West Brom.

Miguel Almiron scored twice in 12 minutes at the end of the first half while on loan Inter Milan midfielder Valentino Lazaro added a third just two minutes after the break to put the visitors in firm control of the contest.

However, the Baggies attacked with greater vigour in the second half and put increasing amounts of pressure on a Newcastle side content to sit on their lead.

And the hosts fought their way back into it with strikes late on from Matt Phillips and Kenneth Zohore in injury time making for a tense end to the match.


On Monday night, goals from Sokratis Papastathopoulos and Eddie Nketiah secured an Emirates FA Cup quarter-final place for 13-time winners Arsenal after a 2-0 win at Portsmouth.

Pompey – the 2008 champions and lowest-ranked team left in the competition – put up a strong fight in the first half but were dealt a cruel blow when Sokratis volleyed in Reiss Nelson's cross on the stroke of half time.

Nketiah then doubled the Gunners’ advantage soon after the break with his third goal since returning from a loan spell at Leeds United, as Arsenal provided the perfect reaction to last week’s disappointing Europa League exit.

The hosts didn’t manage a shot until the second half – when substitute Ronan Curtis' effort was turned away by visiting goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez – as they fell to their first defeat at Fratton Park since September.

There is one more Cup tie on Thursday evening, which you can follow live.

By FA Staff