The Adobe Women's FA Cup

Manchester United reach a second successive Adobe Women’s FA Cup Final

Sunday 14 Apr 2024
Second goalscorer Williams, 36, played eight games for Chelsea in the 2014 season

First-half strikes from Lucia Garcia and Rachel Williams fired Manchester United to a 2-1 win over holders Chelsea and into the Adobe Women’s FA Cup final.

Garcia and Williams headed the hosts into their second successive FA Cup final, where they will face Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley on Sunday 12 May.

Lauren James pulled one back in first-half injury time but the Blues were unable to mount a comeback and miss out on a shot at lifting a fourth straight FA Cup in Emma Hayes’ last season at the club.

Marc Skinner’s side made a dream start as Leah Galton pounced on an error from Chelsea right-back Eve Perisset and found Garcia, who planted home a header at the back post.

Mary Earps was tested for the first time on 16 minutes, making a straightforward save as Johanna Rytting Kaneryd shot from a tight angle.

United doubled their lead when Ella Toone curled in a superb cross that Williams nodded past Hannah Hampton.

In-form striker Mayra Ramirez led the Chelsea response but couldn’t find a team-mate to connect with her cutback and was crowded out when a good headed chance fell her way.

Moments after she was denied the opening goal by a flying Earps save, Lauren James made no mistake and halved the deficit by steering home a Niamh Charles cutback.

Earps was at her brilliant best early in the second half when she again pawed away a James header that looked destined for the back of the net.

Chelsea saw a pair of penalty shouts waved away - for handball on Katie Zelem on the hour mark and a collision between Rachel Williams and Niamh Charles ten minutes later.

The visitors poured players forward in the second half without creating many high-quality chances. They were nearly picked off on the break but Garcia saw a goal chalked off and Hannah Hampton made a good late stop from Nikita Parris’ close-range effort.

United held on through eight minutes of injury time to secure a second trip to Wembley, six years after they were founded.

By FA Staff