Forest stun Arsenal, Tottenham survive Morecambe scare and Liverpool advance

Sunday 09 Jan 2022
Nottingham Forest celebrate Lewis Grabban's winner in their Emirates FA Cup third round clash with Arsenal

Nottingham Forest continued a weekend of Emirates FA Cup third round shocks by defeating Premier League high-flyers Arsenal 1-0 at a rocking City Ground.

Steve Cooper’s in-form Championship side were seeking a repeat of their 2018 victory over the Gunners at the same stage and took the game to their visitors from the outset.

The pressure grew after the break and Philip Zinckernegal saw a volley well saved by Bernd Leno from Brennan Johnson’s cross.

And the lively Johnson was the provider for the winning goal, providing a fine cross which was converted by substitute Lewis Grabban to set up an East Midlands derby with holders Leicester City in the next round.

It is just the second time the Gunners have fallen at the third round stage since 1996 and both exits have been at the hands of Forest.

Arsenal’s neighbours Tottenham Hotspur survived an almighty scare at home to League One Morecambe before booking their place in the Emirates FA Cup fourth round.

The eight-time winners went behind to the side sat 59 league places beneath them when the unmarked Anthony O’Connor expertly volleyed home a corner in the 33rd minute.

But just as the travelling hordes from Lancashire began to anticipate what would have been the latest in a string of remarkable upsets on third round weekend, three goals in the final 16 minutes saw Antonio Conte’s men turn the tie on its head.

Harry Winks’ free-kick levelled matters and the Shrimps then saw an error ruthlessly capitalised upon as Lucas Moura seized possession on the halfway line, rounded Trevor Carson and slotted home with six minutes to play.

Harry Kane added a late third to settle Spurs’ nerves and keep Conte’s hopes of winning the competition for a second time alive, the Italian having led Chelsea to glory in 2017/18.

Liverpool also had to come from behind against League One opposition as they defeated Shrewsbury Town 4-1 at Anfield.

Daniel Udoh gave the visitors a shock 27th-minute lead but the advantage was short-lived as 17-year-old Kaide Gordon swept in the equaliser on his Emirates FA Cup debut.

Fabinho’s penalty completed the turnaround before the break and he added a fourth in stoppage time after his fellow Brazilian Roberto Firmino had earlier backheeled home.

The day’s only all-Premier League clash was won by West Ham, who scored a goal in each half to overcome Leeds 2-0 at the London Stadium.

Manuel Lanzini set the Hammers on their way and as the visitors pushed for a late leveller, Jarrod Bowen finished off a fine counter-attack to seal his side’s progress.

Daniel Podence’s brace helped Wolves ease into the fourth round at the expense of Championship Sheffield United.

Nelson Semedo also netted at Molineux as the hosts ran out comfortable 3-0 winners.

It was a nervier affair for Premier League strugglers Norwich City, who survived late pressure to come away from Charlton Athletic with a morale-boosting 1-0 victory.

Substitute Milot Rashica’s 79th-minute strike separated the sides at The Valley, though Ben Purrington was inches away from forcing an extra half-hour as he struck the crossbar for the League One hosts, who largely had the better of the match, in injury time.

2011 finalists Stoke City scored late in each half to defeat Leyton Orient 2-0, Tom Ince and Tyrese Campbell finding the net, and Luton Town were convincing 4-0 winners over Harrogate Town.

The League Two visitors were making their first third round appearance in a history spanning 108 years but goals from Elijah Adebayo, Cameron Jerome, Kal Naismith and Luke Berry ensured their run would go no further.

Cardiff City needed extra time to get past fellow Championship outfit Preston North End, winning 2-1 in the Welsh capital.

Mark Harris netted the decisive goal in the 116th-minute after Daniel Johnson's penalty cancelled out Isaak Davies' opener in normal time.

By FA Staff