Morecambe edge out battling Buxton to reach Emirates FA Cup third round

Saturday 04 Dec 2021
Morecambe's Cole Stockton celebrates his winner against Buxton

In-form Cole Stockton continued his hot streak in front of goal as Morecambe ended Buxton’s Emirates FA Cup progress at the second round stage.

The League One top scorer’s 16th goal of the season in all competitions was enough to separate the two sides at a wet and windy Silverlands Stadium, which welcomed a bumper crowd of 3,642 for the Bucks’ first tie at this stage since 1958/59.

The seventh-tier hosts started well and were inches away from opening the scoring in the 13th minute.

The Shrimps were dispossessed trying to play out from the back and Diego De Girolamo, scorer of the late goal which knocked out York City in the first round, took aim with a left-footed shot from 20 yards which came back off the base of the post.

Emirates FA Cup second round proper

Saturday 4 December 2021


Just before the half-hour mark, however, the League One side took the lead through a familiar source as Stockton took advantage of a defensive lapse to finish confidently past Theo Richardson.

With howling winds continuing to make life difficult for both sets of players after the break, Stockton twice came close to doubling the lead only to see one effort saved and another fly over the bar from point-blank range.

Buxton continued to give it their all but missed the influential De Girolamo, who was forced off through injury shortly after the restart, and saw their fine run come to an end.

"It was a professional performance,” said Morecambe boss Stephen Robinson.

“It was set up for a cup upset today with the wind, rain, sleet and playing on top of a mountain.

"I'm hoping for a big team in the next round as it will hopefully secure our financial future."

Yeovil Town ensured there will be non-league representation in the third round as they knocked out League Two strugglers Stevenage.

A tight first half ended goalless in the evening kick-off but the hosts were quickest out the blocks after the restart and Charlie Wakefield finished a fine move in style in the 51st minute.

Stevenage, playing their first match under new boss Paul Tisdale, couldn't muster a response and Darren Sarll's side will now eagerly await Monday's third round draw.

The 3pm kick-offs saw 11 ties all featuring sides from Leagues One and Two, and four sides from the fourth tier picked up away wins at higher-division opponents.

Harrogate Town left it late to stun 2008 winners Portsmouth at Fratton Park, Jack Diamond sending the travelling fans wild with a 95th-minute winner.

Luke Armstrong gave the visitors the lead a minute before the interval but the hosts hit straight back through Ellis Harrison, who equalised in first-half injury time.

A replay in North Yorkshire looked likely as the second half wore on but Diamond had other ideas and his last gasp strike sent Harrogate into round three for the first time in the club's history.

George Lapslie’s second-half brace helped Mansfield Town progress as they saw off League One strugglers Doncaster Rovers 3-2 at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Nigel Clough’s Stags trailed to Branden Horton’s early strike at the interval but William Forrester levelled matters before Lapslie’s double put the visitors in the driving seat.

Tommy Rowe got Rovers back in it but Mansfield held on to keep their run going.

Port Vale also came from behind to beat League One opposition, knocking out Burton Albion.

Ryan Leak’s goal midway through the first half put the Brewers in front and they held the lead until 11 minutes from time, when Bolton loanee Dennis Politic struck twice in the space of three minutes to turn the game on its head.

New Hartlepool United boss Graeme Lee has a third round tie to look forward to after his side won at Lincoln City.

Lewis Fiorini’s 52nd-minute own goal proved the decisive moment as Pools went through at the expense of the 2016/17 quarter-finalists. 

An entertaining all-League One affair at Plough Lane went the way of AFC Wimbledon as they overcame Cheltenham Town 4-3.

Alfie May set the tone for the goal fest by putting the visitors in front inside two minutes but they were behind by half time as Ayoub Assal and Ollie Palmer netted.

Assal and Palmer completed their braces after the break and the hosts survived a late Robins rally to book their place in the third round hat.

Elsewhere, Bristol Rovers scored twice in three minutes to seal a fightback win against Sutton United and Harvey Knibbs struck two minutes from time as Cambridge United beat Exeter City 2-1.

Shrewsbury Town won at Carlisle United by the same scoreline, as did Swindon Town at Walsall, while progress was more serene for Leyton Orient as they saw off Tranmere Rovers 4-0.

The only draw of the afternoon came at Portman Road, where 1978 winners Ipswich Town will face a long trip to Cumbria for a replay after being held to a goalless draw by Barrow.

By FA Staff