Sixth-tier Chorley stun 2013 winners Wigan as Emirates FA Cup shocks continue

Sunday 08 Nov 2020
Chorley came from behind to stun Wigan Athletic and reach the second round

Non-League Chorley produced an incredible comeback to knock 2013 winners Wigan Athletic out of the Emirates FA Cup as the first-round drama and shocks continued.

The National League North side were trailing 2-0 at half time but levelled the tie by the 60th minute before Connor Hall netted the winner in extra-time. 

They were not alone in defeating higher-tier opposition as Solihull Moors dumped League Two side Scunthorpe United out of the competition after claiming a 3-2 victory on the road.

And Wesley Fonguck’s goal proved to be the difference as National League Barnet held on to win against Burton Albion, with all the victors heading into Monday’s draw for the second round.

Chorley secured their place in round two for only the third time, as they took advantage of the League One Latics going down to ten men just before half time. 

Wigan went ahead through goals from Joe Garner and Tom James but Adam Long was shown a straight red for bringing down Harry Cardwell. 

The Latics squandered their lead when Elliot Newby fired home and Cardwell levelled the tie before Hall wrong-footed Owen Evans within two minutes of extra-time to complete a remarkable comeback. 

Two penalties from Stephen Gleeson and Krystian Pearce’s header ensured National League Solihull reached the second round for a third straight season. 

Gleeson scored the first penalty just four minutes into the game but John McAtee equalised soon after for Scunthorpe. 

Pearce put his side ahead just after the break and Gleeson extended the advantage with ten minutes remaining, holding out for the win despite Kevin van Veen's consolation.

Despite going down to ten men just before half time, Barnet held on to victory over Burton thanks to Fonguck’s excellent strike from outside the penalty area. 

Matt Preston was sent off for his challenge on Burton striker Niall Ennis, who was through on goal, but the Bees earned a hard-fought victory. 

Oldham Athletic progressed to the second round after they held off National League South side Hampton & Richmond

Ben Garrity and Robert Grant scored before the break while Daniel Rowe added a third after the break, with Sam Deadfield's double not enough for the hosts.

There was heartbreak for Torquay United as they lost 6-5 to Crawley Town at Plainmoor – where eight goals were scored in additional or extra time. 

The National League side led 2-0 with Aaron Nemane and Ben Whitfield scoring before half time but, early in the second half, there was a 14-minute stop in play due to an injury for Crawley goalkeeper Tom McGill. 

Tom Nichols’ penalty pulled back a goal for the visitors and deep into added time, Max Watters equalised. Torquay went back ahead through Josh Umerah but there was heartbreak once again when Jordan Tunnicliffe levelled the scores.

Goals continued to pour in in extra time. Two Asa Hall penalties put Torquay in a strong position, but Nichols completed his hat-trick while Ashley Nadesan scored the 11th and final goal to seal the win for Crawley.

Southern League Premier Division side Hayes & Yeading missed out on a place in round two after losing to Carlisle United in a penalty shootout. 

Goals from Omar Rowe and Amos Nasha put the hosts in pole position but Jon Melling’s brace took the tie to spot-kicks and the League Two outfit triumphed 4-3. 

Bedsente Gomis ensured Havant & Waterlooville edged into the second round, as they beat eighth-tier Cray Valley Paper Mills

MK Dons also have their name in the hat after beating Eastleigh on penalties following a stalemate after extra time. 

Gary Madine’s double and Jerry Yates’ added time goal secured Blackpool a comfortable win over Eastbourne Borough

And Adam Philips booked Morecambe’s place in the second round for only the second time in eight seasons, as they knocked out eighth tier Maldon & Tiptree

By FA Staff