Manchester City reach FA Youth Cup semi-final after 4-1 victory at AFC Bournemouth

Wednesday 27 Feb 2019
Manchester City were 4-1 winners at AFC Bournemouth on Tuesday evening
Dan Briard-FA-Young-Reporters-Club

I’m a multimedia sports journalism student at UCFB, where I started in September 2018. Producing articles has always been my passion so when the opportunity to write for the FA Young Reporters' Club came about, I was thrilled to become a part of it. 

Manchester City scored twice in each half to book their place in the FA Youth Cup semi-final, with a 4-1 win over AFC Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium.

On a cold night on the South Coast, Bournemouth were involved in their first quarter final in the Youth Cup for 50 years, a superb achievement recognised by the 1,136 fans in attendance.

But for all their hard efforts in the contest, it was City who began the game in dominant style from the off and they took the lead after just eight minutes.

AFC Bournemouth 1-4 Manchester City
  • The FA Youth Cup
  • Sixth round proper
  • Tuesday 26 February
  • Vitality Stadium, AFC Bournemouth

A goal-kick was intercepted inside Bournemouth’s half when Adrian Bernabe set the ball to Felix Nmecha. He took one touch out of his feet and unleashed a curling effort from 20-yards which nestled into the bottom corner, past the helpless Callum Ward.

Bournemouth then brilliantly dispatched their first effort of the game, which brought the contest back level on 16 minutes.

And what a goal it was - Nathan Moriah-Welsh’s initial cross wasn’t cleared and the ball fell kindly to the unmarked Tom Hanfrey, who on his weaker foot, fired the ball into the top corner to send the home crowd wild.

The young Cityzens though, weren’t going down without a fight.

Despite the heroics of Ward between the sticks, who rebuffed attempts from Bernabe and Thomas Doyle, Gareth Taylor's side regained the lead seven minutes before the break. 

Captain Eric Garcia – who played both legs of City’s EFL Cup semi-final against Burton Albion - headed home from Doyle’s floated corner delivery to give them a slender advantage at the break.

Doyle’s set-piece deliveries were a constant threat throughout the game and Nathan Moriah-Welsh had to clear off the line to rescue Bournemouth after Benjamin Knight had flicked on after the re-start.

My view from the press box at the Vitality Stadium


But after another spell of persistent pressure, the Blues got their third goal to put the game out of reach for the hosts just after the hour mark.

Nmecha and Bernabe had linked-up well throughout the game so it was no surprise when both were heavily involved in the build-up again.

Bernabe’s low drive across the box fell kindly to Fisayo Dele-Bashiru, who made no mistake by dispatching into the bottom corner.

After striking the post minutes before, their fourth goal eventually came in the 76th minute, courtesy of winger and England youngster Knight.

Substitute Nabil Touaizi broke forward at pace and played a perfectly timed ball wide to Knight.

With one touch inside onto his favoured left-foot, the former Ipswich youngster found the far corner to give his side an unassailable lead.

Bournemouth will take pride from their performance, having matched the visitors for most of the game.

Ultimately though, the quality of City’s youngsters proved too much as they booked their date with West Brom in March’s semi-final.

By Dan Briard FA Young Reporters' Club at the Vitality Stadium