The Adobe Women's FA Cup

Arsenal reach SSE Women's FA Cup Final with victory against Everton

Sunday 15 Apr 2018
Arsenal are off to Wembley

Arsenal booked their place in the SSE Women’s FA Cup Final with an added-time goal from Louise Quinn, securing a 2-1 win over Everton.

The 14-time winners took the lead in the first half through Danielle Carter, with Chloe Kelly equalising from the spot for the hosts.

But Quinn rose highest to nod home a corner in the dying minutes. 

Everton 1-2 Arsenal
  • SSE Women's FA Cup semi-final
  • Rossett Park
  • Sunday 15 April 2018
  • By Feargal Brennan
“In the second half we created just as many chances and it was probably our fault in a way that we made it such a dramatic game,” Carter said.

“But we always had belief, with the players in the pitch and the ones that we brought on, that we would win.

"When we came out for the second half we just wanted to kill the game off, with an early goal. Everton got back in it with a penalty, but didn't lose our plan and we just kept at it.

"We now have a chance to win our 15th FA Cup, which is massive and we are just going to go into that game and try and get the job done."

Everton started brightly in front of a noisy home crowd in Crosby, but Arsenal quickly settled into their rhythm with Jordan Nobbs seeing an effort saved by Kirstie Levell on 22 minutes. 

Carter found the breakthrough on 25 minutes, converting neatly from close range, after a powerful run and right-wing cross from Heather O’Reilly.

Kim Little and Nobbs also had chances saved by Levell in the first half, as Arsenal looked to threaten in attack.

Everton’s sole effort on target in the first half came just before the break, as Kelly’s long-range strike was saved by Sari van Veenendaal. 

The Blues began the second half in determined fashion, and Kelly was twice denied goal scoring opportunities just before the hour mark, by Quinn and Kim Little.

However, Kelly was not to be denied a third time, equalising with an emphatic penalty on 66 minutes, after Olivia Chance was fouled by Dominique Janssen. 

Arsenal almost hit back on 77 minutes, but Janssen’s 25-yard free kick was well saved by Levell.

The visitors piled on the pressure in the final minutes, with Little and Miedema coming close, but Quinn’s late header sealed a place in the final for Arsenal. 

"It is obviously a devastation and there are no bother words to describe it,” said Everton manager Andy Spence.

“In the second half we were the better team, got a deserved goal and we could have snuck second goal.

“But on reflection I can be objective and I know we have a fantastic team here who represented Everton brilliantly in the second half and I believe we are the most exciting young team in the league."

This season’s Final will be staged at Wembley Stadium on Saturday 5 May.

Tickets are priced £15 for adults while kids go FREE!

Everton (4-1-4-1): Kirstie Levell; Faye Bryson, Gabrielle George, Georgia Brougham, Siri Worm; Angharad James; Danielle Turner, Olivia Chance, Jodie Brett, Chloe Kelly; Courtney Sweetman-Kirk

Substitutes: Chantelle Boye-Hlorkah for Siri Worm 62, Megan Finnigan for Jodie Brett 68

Substitutes not used: Lizzie Durack, Mollie Green, Taylor Hinds

Arsenal: (4-1- 4-1): Sari van Veenendaal; Lisa Evans, Leah Williamson, Louise Quinn, Emma Mitchell; Dominique Janssen; Heather O’Reilly, Jordan Nobbs, Kim Little, Beth Mead; Danielle Carter

Substitutes: Kirstie McCabe for Beth Mead 79, Viviane Miedema for Danielle Carter 89, Ava Kuyken for Heather O’Reilly

Substitutes not used: Anna Moorhouse, Danielle Van De Donk

Referee: Abigail Marriott 

Attendance: 1,457

By FA Staff