Eastleigh and Altrincham stage Emirates FA Cup giantkillings

Saturday 07 Nov 2015
Wealdstone played host to an Emirates FA Cup thriller

Damien Reeves’ strike just minutes into the second half helped Altrincham to a famous 1-0 FA Cup first round victory over League One side Barnsley.

With the game finely poised Ryan Crowther’s effort was saved by Tykes keeper Adam Davies but Reeves was on hand to turn home the rebound. 

Emirates FA Cup

First round proper
Saturday 7 November 2015
Winning sides receive £18,000


The visitors – who sit 45 places above Altrincham – pushed for an equaliser as time ticked on but Conor Wilkinson’s late volley was as close as they came as the Moss Lane faithful celebrated their progress to the second round.

That was not the only shock of the day as a Ben Stevens penalty proved the difference between National League side Eastleigh and League One strugglers Crewe Alexandra.

Watch highlights of Eastleigh's victory over Crewe Alexandra

The signs of an upset showed after 63 minutes when Crewe goalkeeper Ben Garratt saw red for bringing down Yemi Odubade and in a separate incident 12 minutes later Stevens capitalised as he calmly converted from the spot.

At Kingsmeadow, Elliott Frear netted a dramatic last-gasp winner as National League side Forest Green Rovers knocked out AFC Wimbledon.

The visitors took the lead on six minutes thanks to Darren Carter before Callum Kennedy equalised midway through the first period.

Jefferson Louis puts Wealdstone ahead from the spot

Jefferson Louis puts Wealdstone ahead against Colchester United

The game looked like it was heading to a replay but midfielder Frear popped up from just outside the box and fired his side in front deep into injury time.

Seventh-tier Stourbridge meanwhile booked their passage into the next round with a 2-1 win over Dover Athletic.

Aswad Thomas cancelled out Stourbridge’s opener from Chris Lait before goalkeeper Mitchell Walker saw red for the hosts and Karl Hawley’s spot-kick gave the visitors victory.

There was also jubilation for three League Two sides as Barnet, Stevenage and Northampton all dispatched of League One opposition.

At The Hive Stadium first-half strikes for Tom Champion and Michael Gash gave Barnet victory over Blackpool while Stevenage ran out 3-0 winners over Gillingham – Steven Schumacher, Chris Whelpdale and Armand Gnanduillet with the goals.

And Northampton ran out 2-1 winners away at Coventry with Marc Richards netting the winner after Jacob Murphy had cancelled out Zander Diamond’s opener.

It all started so well for National League South side Wealdstone who were 2-1 up against Colchester – a side 71 places above them – but four goals from Macauley Bonne ended their dreams in a 6-2 defeat.

Winners of the Cup in 2008, Portsmouth are through after Adam McGurk netted either side of a Kristian Dennis goal as Macclesfield went down 2-1.

In the north-west, Bury put four past Wigan without response while Accrington Stanley held on for a 3-2 win over York City.

Goals from Sean McConville, Matt Crooks and Josh Windass gave Stanley a 3-1 advantage but it was a tense finish as Michael Coulson pulled one back at the death for York.

There were plenty more goals in the day’s other fixtures with Grimsby Town winning 5-1 at home to St Albans while Leyton Orient were 6-1 winners over Staines Town.

Meanwhile three ties will need a replay to find a winner as Dagenham & Redbridge drew 0-0 at home to Morecambe while it was also goalless between Mansfield and Oldham Athletic, and 1-1 between Northwich Victoria and Boreham Wood

Accrington 3-2 York
Wimbledon 1-2 Forest Green
Altrincham 1-0 Barnsley
Barnet 2-0 Blackpool
Barwell 0-2 Welling
Burton 0-3 Peterborough
Bury 4-0 Wigan
Cambridge 1-0 Basingstoke Town
Coventry 1-2 Northampton
Crawley 1-2 Luton
Crewe 0-1 Eastleigh
Dag & Red 0-0 Morecambe
Doncaster 2-0 Stalybridge Celtic
Dover 1-2 Stourbridge
Grimsby 5-1 St Albans City
Hartlepool 1-0 Cheltenham
Leyton Orient 6-1 Staines Town
Mansfield 0-0 Oldham
Millwall 3-1 AFC Fylde
Northwich Victoria 1-1 Boreham Wood
Plymouth 0-2 Carlisle
Portsmouth 2-1 Macclesfield
Rochdale 3-1 Swindon
Scunthorpe 2-1 Southend
Sheff Utd 3-0 Worcester City
Stevenage 3-0 Gillingham
Walsall 2-0 Fleetwood
Wealdstone 2-6 Colchester

By FA Staff