FA Chairman Greg Dyke has made a statement on Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore.
Dyke said: “Last week, The FA made it clear that Mr Scudamore was not an employee of The Football Association and, as such, we had no position in terms of employment policy or taking disciplinary action. We were of the view that was a matter for the Premier League and we asked them to keep us informed of the actions they were taking.
“In terms of wider FA disciplinary action, it was advised that The FA does not as a matter of policy consider private communications sent with a legitimate expectation of privacy to amount to professional misconduct. The FA has applied this policy on an ongoing basis and in relation to numerous other cases.
“This morning Peter McCormick, the acting Chairman of the Premier League, came to see me at Wembley to explain the process by which the League has investigated the whole matter and how it reached the decision it made yesterday afternoon. He assured me they had followed proper process under their own employment and disciplinary rules and had conducted a thorough investigation.
“We said last week that we considered the contents of the e-mails in question to be totally inappropriate and are still of that view, as is the Premier League. It is important to reiterate the significant focus The FA gives to equality, not least through the work of its Inclusion Advisory Board (IAB), and to tackling all forms of discrimination.
“FA Board member Heather Rabbatts, who will be chairing a session of the IAB later on Tuesday, joined me in this morning’s meeting. I have asked her to follow up with the Premier League to discuss the wider issues around the inclusion agenda and see how The FA and Premier League can work together to make meaningful the League's undertaking to take further steps on inclusion and diversity.
"I also look forward to the IAB reporting back from their meeting to the FA Board at the earliest opportunity.”