Sustainability has been a key issue for The FA Group since the new Wembley Stadium opened its doors to the sporting public and music fans in 2007 for Live Earth.
We developed our first sustainability strategy in 2009, Wembley Stadium became the first sporting venue to achieve the Carbon Trust Triple Standard in 2014, we installed almost 1000 solar panels at St. George’s Park in 2015 and we achieved certification to ISO 20121 for our event sustainability management system for Wembley Stadium in 2019.
In July 2023, we launched a new five-year sustainability strategy on which you can read more here.
Our sustainability strategy is governed by FAST, The FA Group’s Sustainability Team.
FAST is a group of passionate employees from across the business keen to continuously improve the way that we work. They drive progress on a range of issues, from energy and waste to community and wellbeing.
FAST was founded with the aim of empowering all employees to make a difference. There are squads for each significant sustainability issue for events at Wembley, made up of employees passionate about reducing our environmental impacts, enhancing our workplace and culture, or having a positive impact on society.
Squads meet on a quarterly basis to define targets, update on progress and discuss ideas. They are governed by Squad Captains who meet on a monthly basis at FAST meetings, where there is senior management representation.
As we take a partnership approach to working with our suppliers, many of our suppliers are involved in FAST. Veolia and Delaware North play a particularly important role by leading our Waste and Food Squads, supporting us to reduce environmental impacts across Wembley Stadium.
We have developed a number of policies to outline our sustainability commitments. You can download them at the bottom of this page.
- In 2018, The Football Association won an International Safety Award with Merit from the British Safety Council in recognition of its commitment to keeping its workers and workplaces healthy and safe during the 2017 calendar year.
- In 2019, we obtained ISO 20121 certification for our event sustainability management system covering major events at Wembley Stadium.
- In addition, in 2019 our FA Sustainability Team (FAST) were shortlisted for the Business Green ‘2019 Sustainability Team’ of the Year award.
- We won the Sports Business Award for Sustainability in Sport award in 2020
- In 2022, we were re-certified for ISO 20121 for Wembley Stadium covering major events.
To read more information about the environmental commitments and strategy at Wembley Stadium and St. George’s Park, please use the links below:
For all enquiries related to sustainability at Wembley Stadium, please submit a question and select ‘Sustainability at Wembley Stadium’ as your topic.
For any other sustainability enquiries, please contact us below: