Small Sided Football - Laws of the Game
The Penalty Kick
A penalty kick is awarded against a team which commits any of the offences for which a direct free kick is awarded inside its own penalty area and while the ball is in play subject to Competition Rules dictating if other players other than the defending goalkeeper may enter the penalty area.
A goal may be scored directly from a penalty kick.
Additional time is allowed for a penalty kick to be taken at the end of each half or at the end of each period of extra time.
Position of the Ball and the Players
- Is placed on the penalty mark
The player taking the penalty kick:
- Is properly identified
The defending goalkeeper:
- Remains on his goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts, until the ball has been kicked
The players other than the kicker are located:
- Inside the pitch
- Outside the penalty area
- Behind or to the side of the penalty mark
- At least 3m from the ball
- The player taking the penalty kicks the ball forward
- He may not play the ball a second time until it has touched another player
- The ball is in play when it is kicked and moves forward
When a penalty kick is taken during the normal course of play, or time has been extended at half-time or full time to allow a penalty kick to be taken or retaken, a goal is awarded if, before passing the goalposts and under the crossbar:
- The ball touches either or both of the goalposts, and/or the crossbar and/or the goalkeeper
If any of the following situations occur:
A player of the defending team infringes this Law:
- The kick is retaken, only if a goal is not scored
- The kick is not retaken if a goal is scored
A team-mate of the player taking the kick infringes this Law of the Game:
- The kick is retaken if a goal is scored
- The kick is not retaken if a goal is not scored
The player taking the kick infringes this Law of the Game after the ball is in play:
- An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team, the kick to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred, unless this was in the penalty area, in which case the indirect free kick is taken from the penalty area line at the place nearest to where the infringement occurred.