The FA Sports Medicine & Sports Science Department at St George’s Park will be an elite sports medicine, treatment and performance research centre.
The 25,000 square feet complex will become the first FIFA Medical Centre of Excellence in England, providing services to benefit all England national teams and football at all levels. Furthermore, in conjunction with several university partners, a Centre for Athletic Performance Research will be established to serve English sport.
Staffed by specialist clinicians, backed by cutting-edge facilities and technology, it all means The FA Sports Medicine & Sports Science Department at St George’s Park will provide:
- Prevention, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of football and sports injuries;
- A multi-disciplinary approach providing expertise in sports medicine, sports psychology, performance nutrition, strength and conditioning, physiotherapy and rehabilitation;
- Performance research;
- Fitness screening for domestic and international football teams and players;
- A football medicine and science audit and monitoring service for domestic and international clubs;
- Development of best practice in sports medicine and sports science;
- An advisory service for optimisation of training techniques and injury prevention;
- Education programmes and career paths for sports medicine and sports science disciplines.
The FA Sports Medicine & Sports Science Department at St George’s Park will be the home for sporting clubs’ sports medicine, sports science, educational and performance needs by providing courses, conferences, a CPD support network and an e-learning platform. The facilities and services will be available throughout the year, either for a team camp; pre/post-match overnight stay; or player referral.
“St.George’s Park is a dream come true to those working in football medicine and football science in this country. Gaining FIFA Centre of Excellence status would be a real fillip to our industry.”
Ian Beasley, Head of Medical Services to The Football Association