Campion denied in final seconds in thrilling Preliminary Round of Emirates FA Cup

Saturday 21 Aug 2021
Campion AFC were one of two step six teams in the Preliminary Round along with Kensington & Ealing Borough

There was heartbreak for Campion AFC, one of just two step six sides remaining in the Emirates FA Cup as Joshua Dobie’s late strike swung a thrilling encounter the way of Prescot Cables in the Preliminary Round.

Campion, who play in the North West Counties Football League, had come from 2-0 down to level matters away to their opponents from step four, thanks to an Aidan Kirby penalty and a goal from Jason Carney. 

But Cables, who had started strongly with goals from James Cooper and Mackenzie O’Neill, overcame a red card to Daniel Murphy in the incident that saw Kirby score from the spot, to snatch the win two minutes from time.

In one of the ties of the round, Squires Gate eventually got the better of Macclesfield 6-4 thanks to Jack Iley’s late volley. 

2021-22 Emirates FA Cup
  • Preliminary Round
  • Saturday 21 August-Sunday 22 August 2021
Dean Ing had earlier scored twice in two minutes for Gate on the hour to go 4-3 up, while Macclesfield finished the game with nine men as they went out despite Aaron Dwyer’s double. 

Paul Turner helped himself to a hat-trick as Barnoldswick Town edged out Ramsbottom United 5-4 in a thriller at Silentnight Stadium. 

Turner’s treble along with two goals for Gareth Hill were enough for Barlick to sneak home with a brace from Domaine Rouse, including a stunning overhead kick, in vain for Rammy. 

In an instant classic at the Windsor Foodservice Stadium, Eastwood came from behind four times to earn a replay in a 4-4 draw away to Worksop Town

Sam Moore’s strike in stoppage time allowed the Red Badgers to level for the fourth time as they refused to go away in a battling performance. 

Marlow, who have appeared in the competition more times than any other side in its history, eased past Slimbridge 3-0 to take their place in the next round. 

Isaac Olurunfemi sealed the victory with 15 minutes remaining after Nnamdi Nwachuku and Junaid Bell had put the home side 2-0 up at the break. 

Meanwhile Sheffield FC, the world’s oldest football club, were beaten 2-1 by Sherwood Colliery in a game shown live on BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport online and the Red Button. 

Lewis Belgrave had put the visitors in front from a well-worked corner routine, but that was quickly cancelled out by Marc Newsham from a quick free-kick. 

However Will Norcross sealed it for the Wood with a goal 20 minutes from time. 

Another game that will require a replay is the clash between Corby Town and Soham Town Rangers after Jordan O’Brien’s injury-time equaliser. 

O’Brien’s deflected free-kick made it 3-3 after Soham had come from two goals down to lead 3-2 heading into the final stages.

And on Sunday, Clitheroe, Baldock Town and Romford all won closely-fought encounters against Northwich Victoria, Grays Athletic and Kensington & Ealing Borough as a pulsating weekend of Emirates FA Cup action drew to a close.

By FA Staff