Newark Flowserve and Hashtag United maintain fine Emirates FA Cup debuts

Tuesday 22 Sep 2020
The second round qualifying will take place on Saturday 3 October

Two Emirates FA Cup debutants will live to fight another day after Hashtag United and Newark Flowserve both came through superb first qualifying round matches.

Newark kept up their outstanding run in this season's competition in devastating fashion, following up their two 4-0 victories to date with a 5-0 success over AFC Rushden & Diamonds.

Midland Football League Premier side Newark are two tiers below their hosts but raced into a 3-0 lead with just 22 minutes on the clock.

Ben Hutchinson tucked away a penalty with moments of kick-off before Danny Meadows' double took the stuffing out of Rushden.

And the visitors weren't done there, with Hutchinson getting his second with 20 minutes remaining before Kevin Bastos rounded off the scoring.

Hashtag United, meanwhile, required penalties to reach the second qualifying round after being locked at 1-1 with Soham Town Rangers after 90 minutes.

Jesse Waller Lassen scored the United leveller and his sterling evening in front of the BBC cameras was far from over, scoring the winning penalty as the hosts prevailed 4-2 on spot-kicks.

It wasn't to be for the third and final Emirates FA Cup debutant still standing, with New Salamis going down 2-1 to Brentwood Town.

Salamis went into the tie as underdogs but goals from Kudus Oyenuga and Sam Bantick proved enough for Brentwood to progress to the second qualifying round, with the draw to be made on Friday.

Step 6 sides were able to cause shocks, however, with Saltash United downing Cirencester Town 3-1 with a fine home performance while Risborough Rangers beat Cobham by the same scoreline.

There was also a big result for Christchurch, overcoming a Dorchester Town side who sit two tiers above them, winning 2-1.

A man of great Emirates FA Cup experience also proved he isn't done just yet, with substitute Ricardo Fuller scoring a late penalty to help Hanley Town beat Redditch United 3-2.

And goals were flying in up and down the country, with Tadcaster Albion beating Litherland Remyca 7-2 while Buxton FC scored seven without reply against Belper Town.

Barking scored six against Dunstable, while FC United of Manchester held off a Pontefract Collieries fightback to prevail 6-2.

Weston Super Mare, Hyde United, Radcliffe, Leiston, Sheppey United, Taunton Town and Carshalton Athletic among those to score five.

Penalty drama aplenty was also in store, with Lancaster City, Warrington Rylands, Bishop's Stortford and East Grinstead Town all winning 4-3 on spot-kicks.

A shootout epic was in store as Royal Wootton Bassett Town prevailed 8-7 from the spot against Cinderford Town, while Chertsey Town and Hastings United enjoyed the drama after both their matches finished 0-0 after normal time.


By FA Staff