Hughes seals Worcester's Emirates FA Cup progress

Tuesday 20 Sep 2016
Winners receive £4,500 from prize fund

Lee Hughes’ late winner sealed the deal as Worcester City secured their spot in the third round qualifying of the Emirates FA Cup with a 3-1 victory in their replay with AFC Telford United.

Telford – who made the second round proper two season ago – took the lead in this second round qualifying clash through Dave Hibbert but after Jonathan Royle saw red for the hosts they were always up against it in front of a crowd of 661. 

And eventually the visitors’ pressure told and, after a deflected Cieron Keane cross crept in, it was Chekaine Steele with five minutes left and former Premier League striker Hughes in injury time that guaranteed Worcester’s passage. 

Emirates FA Cup

Second Round Qualifying Replay Tuesday September 20 2016
Winners receive £4500 from prize fund 

By Chris Bailey

Elsewhere on a busy night for replays it took extra time but Thamesmead Town did enough to see off Hanwell Town with a 4-2 win. 

Thomas O’Connor and Ike Feehi grabbed the two goals in the additional half hour to seal their passage through to the next round and with it a £4,500 windfall. 

It also needed extra time at Oxford City but it was bad news for the hosts as Godfrey Poku’s own goal condemned them to a 2-1 defeat to Bath City. 

Stalybridge Celtic had Matty Hughes and Andy Owens to thank as their strikes secured a 2-1 win over Witton Albion. 

Chib Chilaka bagged a last-minute winner as Harrogate Town threw away a comfortable lead against Bridlington before bouncing back to secure their berth in the next round with a 3-2 win.  

Danny Mitchley bagged a double in front of a crowd of 279 at Marine AFC but it was not enough to hold off Nantwich – Theo Stair heading home the winner for the Dabbers in a 3-2 win. 

A Clark Kay own goal proved the difference as Curzon Ashton survived a potential upset with a 1-0 win at Consett AFC. 

Drew Roberts hit the winner for Chesham United just after half time as they beat Sevenoaks 2-1. 

Mitchell Weiss scored twice for Hemel Hempstead as they proved too strong for Herne Bay in their replay, the visitors eventually running out 5-1 victors. 

Sam Fisk was on the scoresheet and scooped the man of the match award for his all-action display in Burgess Hill Town’s 3-1 win over Kempston Rovers

And finally Stamford secured a 1-0 win over Gresley while Potters Bar Town had to hold on to secure a 3-2 victory over Canvey Island.

By Chris Bailey Reporter