Potters Bar Town progress after penalty shootout success

Tuesday 04 Oct 2016
The Emirates FA Cup trophy

Ravan Constable saved two penalties in the shootout as Potters Bar Town knocked Bath City out of the Emirates FA Cup in a third qualifying round replay.

After a goalless draw at the weekend, a second 90 minutes and extra time couldn’t separate the teams as Michael Murray cancelled out Billy Murphy’s early goal for City. 

Both teams missed one of their first four penalties in the shootout and in sudden death, Joe Bennett held his nerve for Town before Chas Hemmings’ effort was saved.

Town will travel to Chesham United in the fourth qualifying round.

The Emirates FA Cup

Third qualifying round replays
Tuesday October 4
By Andrew Lawton


Margate FC came from two goals down to earn a replay against Hastings United after rain saw their original tie on Saturday postponed.

Steve Watt and a Lewis Ward own goal had given United a 2-0 lead but Matt Johnson curled in a 25-yard effort to bring Margate back into the tie. 

And the comeback was complete with five minutes left as Manny Perry slotted home from eight yards to earn the National League South side a replay.

Nantwich Town beat Halesowen Town 2-1 to progress to the fourth qualifying round thanks to goals from Sean Cooke and Sam Hall while Kaiman Anderson scored for Halesowen Town.

There was a comfortable 3-1 victory for Matlock Town in their replay against Workington AFC.

Ted Cribley gave Matlock the lead while Dwayne Wiley and Michael Williams made it 3-0 before a late Workington consolation from Dave Symington.

Harrogate Town will welcome FC Halifax Town in the next round after seeing off FC United of Manchester 2-0 in their replay. Andy Gascoigne’s scissor kick gave the hosts the lead in the eighth minute with Joe Leesley added a second. 

Brendan Matthew was the hero for Egham Town as his goal was enough to see off Faversham Town and secure a home tie against St Albans City. 

And Hemel Hempstead Town fans can look forward to a trip to Taunton Town after goals from Jack Robinson and Lewis Taafe gave them a 2-0 win over Gloucester City.

By FA Staff