The Buildbase FA Trophy

Stourbridge stay up for the cups with Braintree Trophy win

Saturday 16 Jan 2016
The FA Trophy

Stourbridge continued their incredible cup form this season as Matt Dodd’s goal saw them overcome a two-division gap to beat Braintree Town 1-0 in the FA Trophy second round on Saturday afternoon.

Between the FA Trophy and the Emirates FA Cup – where they reached the second round –the Evo-Stik Northern Premier Division side have now recorded four wins over National League opposition this term.

The FA Trophy

Second round
Saturday 16 January 2016
Winning teams receive £6,000 from The FA prize fund

The Glassboys rode their luck at times but on 56 minutes Karl Hawley fed Chris Lait whose low cross was turned home by Dodd and that goal ultimately proved enough.

Stourbridge have now won 10 cup games this campaign and will find out their third-round opposition when the draw is made on Monday.

Woking were the biggest winners on Saturday as they trounced Maidenhead United 6-1 at the Kingfield Stadium.

Maidenhead actually led 1-0 at half-time thanks to Dave Tarpey’s goal but it was a different story after the break as Keiran Murtagh’s double, in addition to strikes from Giuseppe Sole, Joe Quigley, Chris Arthur and an Alan Massey own goal, ensured a rout.

Chester were also comfortable victors as they dispatched Hungerford Town 4-0 while Danny Lloyd’s double helped AFC Fylde beat Eastbourne Borough 4-1.

Torquay United and Sutton United both recorded 1-0 wins over Wrexham and Curzon Ashton respectively as Gateshead made light of the long trip down to Eastleigh by emerging 2-1 victors – Danny Johnson firing home the winner.

National League South outfit Havant & Waterlooville caused a minor upset as they downed National League strugglers Welling 2-1, which was also the scoreline in victories for Dover over Southport and Guiseley over Dulwich Hamlet.

Conor Henderson scored his first goal in Grimsby Town colours as he set them on their way to a 3-1 triumph over Weston-super-Mare with Omar Bogle and Jon-Paul Pittman also netting for the Mariners – Dayle Grubb getting on the scoreboard for the Seagulls.

But Truro City and Macclesfield, as well as Oxford City and Cheltenham, will require a replay to decide who takes their place in the third round after a pair of 2-2 draws.

And in the last remaining first round replay, Altrincham recorded a 2-1 victory over Leamington.

Although Ben Mackey’s 90th-minute equaliser for Leamington took the game to extra-time, Michael Rankine’s second goal of the game on 99 minutes was enough to see the Robins through.

By FA Staff