Lights out for the Gas as Barrow roll on in Emirates FA Cup

Sunday 04 Dec 2016

Byron Harrison’s double ensured National League side Barrow came from behind to secure the shock of the day and knock League One Bristol Rovers out of the Emirates FA Cup by a 2-1 scoreline.

Rory Gaffney had put the home side ahead in the tenth minute, but Harrison equalised six minutes later.

And when the striker notched his 19th of the season on the hour mark, Barrow’s famous win over mid-table League One side Rovers was secure.

The Emirates FA Cup

Second Round
Sunday 4 December 2016
By Phil Jones

Elsewhere National League North side FC Halifax Town earned a replay with Eastleigh after the home side scored a 90th-minute equaliser.

After Mikael Mandron put Eastleigh ahead on 18 minutes, Jordan Sinnott equalised for Halifax just after the hour.

And when Scott Garner headed home and Richard Peniket put Halifax 3-1 up with 18 minutes to play, their place in the next round looked secure.

But Scott Wilson hit back two minutes later, and Mandron equalised in the dying moments to send the tie into a replay.

In a high-scoring day there were only three clean sheets kept in Sunday’s nine ties, with the Port Vale defence keeping one of them.

Goals from Regino Cicilia, Alex Jones and Ryan Taylor, as well as a Michael Woods own goal, gave Vale a 4-0 win over Hartlepool United.

And it was the same scoreline at the Abbey Stadium as a Luke Berry quadruple saw Cambridge United ease past Coventry City.

Accrington Stanley were the other side not to concede, as they dispatched ten-man Woking 3-0 courtesy of a double from Billy Kee, and a third from John O’Sullivan.

Life was not so easy for Peterborough United though, as they succumbed to a 94th-minute equaliser from Louis Laing as Notts County earned a replay.

Byron Harrison scored two as Barrow knocked Bristol Rovers out of the Emirates FA Cup

Byron Harrison scored two as Barrow knocked Bristol Rovers out of the Emirates FA Cup


Leo Da Silva Lopes and Gwion Edwards gave The Posh an early lead, but when Lee Angol saw red the Magpies comeback began.

Adam Campbell got one back before half time and Laing’s last-gasp strike ensure both sides would be in the draw for the next round.

Millwall made their league superiority clear at The Den as they downed National League side Braintree Town 5-2.

A Harry Smith hat-trick was added to by Shane Ferguson and Aiden O’Brien, meaning Michael Cheek’s and Jack Midson’s strikes for the visitors were in vain.

And there were more goals at the Macron as Bolton Wanderers edged past Sheffield United 3-2.

Gary Madine and Sammy Ameobi put the home side two up, but Paul Coutts grabbed one back just after the hour to keep the game interesting.

Josh Vela re-established the two goal lead with six minutes to play, though, meaning Jack O’Connell’s goal for the Blades, two minutes later, was not enough to salvage a draw.

The day’s remaining game saw AFC Wimbledon stage a remarkable comeback to beat Curzon Ashton 4-3, read more here.



By FA Staff