Tranmere and Cheltenham take their place in first round proper

Friday 23 Oct 2015
Tranmere Rovers and Cheltenham Town were among the teams to progress

Darren Askew bagged a double as Tranmere Rovers moved into the first round proper of the FA Youth Cup with a 4-1 win at Prescot Cables. 

While the senior side had to endure relegation out of the Football League last season, the future is clearly bright for Rovers and having initially gone behind, they quickly equalised through Askew before Tom Croughan’s back-post finish put them in front.

The FA Youth Cup

Third Round Qualifying
Thursday 22 October 2015
By Charlie Talbot-Smith
Click here for results

Then Tolani Omotola dummied to set up Askew’s second in the later stages before Omotola bagged the fourth to seal their passage and set up a clash with Carlisle in the first round. 

Cheltenham Town were also relegated from League Two last season but their youth team are in the first round proper after a 2-0 win over Gosport Borough.

In a game that was played at Bishop’s Cleeve, it was Luke Thomas and Karnell Chambers who bagged the goals and the Robins will now welcome Swindon Town in the next round. 

Altrincham have bagged a tie against Rochdale after they won their third round qualifying clash with Newcastle Benfield 2-1, with Ashley Leather scoring the winner. 

Alfie Barker’s double put Boreham Wood in the first round at the expense of Great Wakering Rovers, as their 2-1 victory sets up a clash with Barnet in the next round. 

Oxford City were knocked out on penalties by Bournemouth – the game finished 3-3 after extra time but it was the Poppies who progressed after edging the penalty shootout 5-4. 

While it was bad news for Oxford, there was better news for old rivals Cambridge City who sealed a 4-1 win over AFC Wulfrunians with Joe Warwick, Cameron McCullum, Charlie Woolfe and Conor Loker scoring for the visitors. 

A solitary Solomon Ogunwomoju strike proved enough for AFC Hornchurch as they claimed a 1-0 win over Bedfont Sports and are now set to face Leyton Orient in the first round proper. 

Kidlington are also through, although they needed extra time to claim a 1-0 win over Bath City. 

Elsewhere, Woodbridge Town claimed a 3-0 win over Braintree Town to progress, Dereham Town also scored three in seeing off Stowmarket 3-0, and it was the same result for Enfield as they knocked out Barking. 

By FA Staff