The Isuzu FA Vase

Glossop's 10 men reach Vase Final despite St Austell loss

Saturday 28 Mar 2015
The FA Vase at Wembley Stadium

Liam Eddy’s late goal was not enough for brave St Austell as Glossop North End held firm to seal a second Wembley appearance in six years.

In the lead-up to the game AFC St Austell manager Phil Lafferty told TheFA.Com his side has saved its best FA Vase performances for away trips this season, so Glossop fans would have been fearing the worst when their side was reduced to 10 men just over five minutes into this crucial tie.

Glossop North End 0-1 AFC St Austell

Glossop NE win 2-1 on aggregate
FA Vase semi-final second leg
Arthur Goldthorpe Stadium
Saturday 28 March 2015
Glossop to play North Shields in the Final

Left-back Matt Russell, such an important man in the previous week’s tie in the south-west, was shown a straight red card for a challenge on Neil Slateford.

That silenced the sizeable home crowd, but the Derbyshire side did not make it this far in the competition for no reason. 

They rallied and went on the attack in an attempt to build on that two-goal aggregate lead, with Tom Bailey grazing the outside of the post with 20 minutes played.

The one-time Football League club then forced a series of three corners in quick succession, with Jason Carey glancing just over the crossbar.

As heavy showers washed over the ground, the Cornish side had a storm of their own to weather, but they made it through to the half-hour mark without losing any more ground, and started to look to chip away at the deficit. With Liam Eddy on the ball in advanced positions, they started to pose a threat.

With the club celebrating its 125th anniversary, St Austell’s players needed a big second half push if they were to mark it with an appearance at the national stadium.

They had travelled to the game by plane, and flew out of the blocks after the break, forcing Glossop stopper Greg Hall into an error, but he was able to redeem himself at the second attempt. 

Although pinned back in their own territory, the hosts held firm and Dave Young got creative, seeing Jason Chapman off his line and shooting from his own half. 

The goalkeeper got back just in time, and the Lilywhites continued to attack as puddles started to form on the rain-soaked pitch.

They were rewarded with an Eddy goal in the first minute of injury time, the popular striker netting from close range to set up a frantic finish. 

But Glossop’s stubborn defensive work was rewarded as they saw out the game and booked a place in the FA Vase final with a 2-1 aggregate victory. 

Ben Richardson’s goal in added time at the end of the first leg proved crucial as the beaten 2009 finalists booked a return to Wembley Stadium, where they will face North Shields on 9 May 2015.

Glossop North End: Greg Hall, Michael Bowler, Matt Russell, Kelvin Lugsden, Dave Young, Martin Parker, Lee Blackshaw, Jason Carey (Ben Richardson 74), Tom Bailey (Sam Hind), Kieran Lugsden, Eddie Moran

Substitutes not used: Danny White, Sam Grimshaw, Richard Gresty.

AFC St Austell: Jason Chapman, Dan Lean, Damon Mulready, Jordan Dingle (Will Tinsley 59), Lee Whetter, Martin Giles, Chris Reski, Ollie Brokenshire, Liam Eddy, Christian Pople, Neil Slateford.

Substitutes not used: Dan Nancarrow, Jared Sims, Martin Watts, Ben Williams

By Andy Lloyd-Williams Reporter