The FA basic referee training course provides the introduction to officiating in football.
The course will introduce the learner to the Laws of the Game and their application delivered through theory and practical elements, outlining the skills required to operate as a match official in grassroots football.
Prior to attending the first day of the course, candidates are required to be 14 years of age. Prior to certification, candidates are required to:
- Have attended The FA Safeguarding Children Workshop (candidates under the age of 18 years are eligible to complete The FA Child Protection Distance Learning Module 'Safeguarding Children in Football - A Guide' as an alternative workshop)
- Hold a current FA CRC (where applicable).
The above pre-requisites, for those who do not already hold the appropriate evidence, will normally be provided by recognised centres as part of the learning programme.
The course will introduce some key aspects in the following:
- Introduction to officiating
- Assessment of knowledge
- Misconduct report writing
- Fouls and misconducts
- Written examination
- Theory DVD
The course will also provide (as separately organised workshops) the following for candidates:
- FA CRC
- FA Safeguarding Children in Football
Practical elements of the course will provide an introduction to:
- Module 2 - application of Law
- Practical skills and attributes
Course aims and objectives
To provide the learners with an introduction to the principles of officiating, delivering five modules of training around the laws, application and practical delivery on the training ground and through officiating a minimum of six matches.
The course includes a Module 5 which is a three hour workshop covering their experiences and detailing what happens next.
Candidates will be encouraged to participate practically to maximise their opportunities for learning (however inability to participate will not prevent successful completion of the course).
How to apply
If you'd like to get involved, contact your local referee development officer to book yourself on the basic referees course.