Three extra-time goals fire Leeds United to fifth round of Emirates FA Cup

Tuesday 06 Feb 2024
Rutter scored his sixth goal of the season for Leeds United and his first-ever in the FA Cup

Three extra-time goals fired Leeds United to the fifth round of the Emirates FA Cup with a 4-1 replay win over Plymouth Argyle at Home Park.

Wilfried Gnonto's goal saw a second-half lead for the visitors but Plymouth equalised in the closing stages to set up extra time before substitutes Crysencio Summerville and Georginio Rutter sent Leeds through.

Leeds hit the woodwork twice in the opening period, including when Joël Piroe’s long-range effort thumped the crossbar in the 19th minute.

The visitors snatched a lead in the second half through Gnonto, who hit the target with a strong finish to match an equally strong performance.

But Plymouth hit back with the equaliser through Brendan Galloway after a free-kick on 78 minutes to push the replay to extra-time.

Substitutes Summerville and Rutter made all the impact as their two strikes and a late own goal wrapped up the win.

Leeds will play either Aston Villa or Chelsea in the fifth round, which will be determined by their meeting at Villa Park this week.

Elsewhere, Coventry City booked a tie with Maidstone United after a convincing 4-1 win at home to Sheffield Wednesday.

Kasey Palmer made a bright start to Coventry’s evening, putting the home side ahead within three minutes with a direct run into the box, shooting low for his third goal of the season.

But Bailey Cadamarteri grabbed an equaliser seven minutes later with another low strike that crept into the net at the inside post.

The clash continued with the same intensity into the second half, and Coventry went ahead early on again thanks to Callum O’Hare who was found by Palmer in space.

He netted again six minutes later with a fine finish in the corner before Haji Wright’s bullet header at the back post from a Jay Dasilva cross made it four to confirm a meeting with Maidstone.

Sekou Mara’s brace helped Southampton to a 3-0 win over Watford to book their place in the fifth round.

After a slow start to the opening half, Ismael Kone tried his luck from outside the box but Watford were denied by a huge deflection onto the crossbar.

Daniel Bachmann came to the rescue at the other end of the pitch, denying Che Adams from close range to keep the scores level.

Mara broke the deadlock at St Mary’s after shooting low into the bottom corner to fire Saints ahead in the second half.

He struck again within minutes to gift his side a convincing two-goal advantage before Adams bagged a deserved third to seal Saints’ tie against top flight leaders Liverpool.

By FA Staff