Shocks continue in Emirates FA Cup first round proper

Sunday 05 Nov 2023
Chesterfield's Tom Naylor celebrates his winner against Portsmouth in the Emirates FA Cup first round proper

A weekend of shocks in the Emirates FA Cup first round proper continued on Sunday as eighth-tier Cray Valley Paper Mills held Charlton Athletic and Chesterfield knocked out League One leaders Portsmouth.

Four miles and 117 league places separated near neighbours Charlton and Cray Valley going into the televised clash which rounded off an action-packed weekend and the Sunday teatime audience got the close battle they craved.

Scott Fraser gave the League One Addicks a ninth-minute lead but the visitors stayed in the contest and levelled matters three minutes into the second half when Kyrell Lisbie – son of Charlton legend Kevin, who played for both clubs – surged down the left and sent in a cross which was deflected in by Lucas Ness.

There were chances at both ends in the remainder of the half and Cray Valley saw out 10 minutes of injury time to ensure they will welcome back their illustrious opponents with a place in the second round at stake.

Both sides came into Chesterfield’s lunchtime clash with Portsmouth in good form and top of their respective divisions.

Will Grigg showed the home side would not be overawed by the visit of a team two tiers above them by charging down goalkeeper Will Norris’ kick early on – with Norris relieved to see the ball ricochet to safety.

The 2008 winners were ultimately undone by a former player, Tom Naylor heading home Liam Mandeville’s free-kick on 32 minutes for what turned out to be the winner.

Abu Kamara came closest to finding a leveller in the second half but the Spireites, under the guidance of ex-Pompey boss Paul Cook, held on to book a home tie against another League One outfit, Leyton Orient, in the next round.

Slough Town came close to becoming another non-league club to knock out Football League opponents and they remain in the hat after a 1-1 draw with Grimsby Town.

Scott Davies’ superb free-kick put the National League South club ahead just before the half-hour mark and the player-manager later cleared Jamie Andrews’ effort off the line.

Both sides were frustrated by the woodwork, George Alexander heading off the bar at one end before Andrews did likewise at the other, and Danny Rose converted Michee Efete’s cross with 15 minutes to play to set up a replay at Blundell Park.

Crewe Alexandra and Derby County will also have to meet again after the Rams staged a remarkable late show to salvage a draw at Gresty Road.

Goals from Courtney Baker-Richardson and Elliot Nevitt either side of half-time put the League Two hosts in a commanding position against a side from the division above.

But Nathaniel Mendez-Laing set up a grandstand finish with his 89th-minute strike and the same player then set up Conor Hourihane for a stoppage time leveller which, for now at least, ensured Derby avoided exiting at the first round stage for the first time in 39 years.

Fleetwood Town were given a fright at National League Kidderminster Harriers before coming from behind to win 2-1.

Bailey Hobson broke the deadlock for the hosts in the 44th minute but Fleetwood struck back straight away, Josh Earl levelling matters before the break.

The visitors took that momentum into the second half, Shaun Rooney netting the winner within a minute of the restart to set up an all-League One second-round clash at Cambridge United.

By FA Staff