Aké's strike sees Manchester City defeat Arsenal in the Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round

Friday 27 Jan 2023
Aké scored only his second goal of the season, his previous goal came in City's win over Liverpool in the League Cup

Nathan Aké’s second-half strike sent Manchester City into the fifth round of the Emirates FA Cup with a 1-0 win over Arsenal. 

In an end-to-end first half, neither side could find the breakthrough with Kevin De Bruyne going closest with a curling effort. 

Aké put Manchester City ahead halfway through the second half with a deft shot before the home side dealt with a late Arsenal charge to book their place in the next round. 

Takehiro Tomiyasu produced the first shot on goal of the game as the Japanese defender forced Stefan Ortega into a fine save, his shot combining power and whip which the City goalkeeper could only punch away. 

Tomiyasu was in action at the other end four minutes later as Erling Haaland capitalised on a mistake by Rob Holding to force Arsenal ‘keeper Matt Turner into evasive action. 

Such is the skill of goal machine Haaland he then attempted a bicycle kick from Turner's clearance that Tomiyasu had to watch carefully before clearing away. 

Leandro Trossard, on his first start for Arsenal, was a bright presence in attack, making a strong run into the box before seeing his shot parried away by Ortega. 

De Bruyne and the Etihad thought the midfielder had put Manchester City ahead after 25 minutes as he bent the ball round an on-rushing Granit Xhaka and just past the far post. 

Trossard continued to power down the left wing, whipping in a cross for Eddie Nketiah at the near post, but the forward could only send the ball wide. 

Haaland was never far from the goal, orchestrating a move that saw him in space at the near post ready to head home a cross from Jack Grealish that instead sailed over. 

At the other end of the pitch, the intriguing tussle between Trossard and John Stones was cut short as the England centre-back was forced off with a hamstring issue on the stroke of half-time. 

A busy but goalless first half gave way to a slower second half, as Fabio Viera had the first real chance of the period, volleying a shot wide on 59 minutes. 

Thoughts were already turning to a replay before substitute Julian Alvarez rattled the post for Manchester City minutes later. 

But Aké proved the difference, he was set up by patient work in the box from Jack Grealish who held the ball long enough for Aké to find space and then the back of the net with a fine strike. 

Nketiah almost had an instant response for Arsenal, but Laporte got a vital touch to send it behind much to the relief of a scrambling Ortega. 

Arsenal piled on the pressure until the final whistle but the hunt for a record-extending 15th FA Cup ends in the fourth round.

By FA Staff