Bowman notches hat-trick while York City's Emirates FA Cup run is ended

Friday 01 Dec 2023
Nathan Udoh (left) played Ryan Bowman in for Shrewsbury's opener

Ryan Bowman’s hat-trick fired Shrewsbury into the Third Round of the Emirates FA Cup, while National League York City saw their run ended by Wigan Athletic.

Bowman needed just 58 seconds to put the Shrews ahead away to Notts County, and found the net twice more as the League One side came through 3-2.

And it was similarly tight for 2013 champions Wigan, who finally broke the deadlock against York on the hour as Stephen Humphrys struck and, despite some late pressure from the Minstermen, that proved enough.

At Meadow Lane, Shrewsbury hit the front within a minute as Aden Baldwin slipped and lost the ball, allowing Nathan Udoh to slide it across for Bowman to tap home.

If the opener was a calamitous error, Notts County got back on terms in spectacular fashion. Defender Richard Brindley strode forward before smashing home from 30 metres out, his right-footed strike nestling in the bottom corner.

But having equalised and gone into the break level, the home side were again the architects of their own downfall early in the second half. This time it was a dangerous back header that was punished by the lurking Bowman, who was able to slot home from close range.

And his hat-trick was another gift from the Magpies. They were caught in possession once again, with Jordan Shipley sliding the ball to Bowman to fire home and make it 3-1.

Notts County came back into it, halving the deficit 15 minutes from time when 17-year-old debutant James Sanderson finished sharply after being set up by Junior Morias but they could not then find an equaliser.

In the other game, York were looking to spring a surprise and caused Wigan a lot of problems in foggy conditions at York Community Stadium.

York looked the more threatening side in the opening half-hour, but were grateful to David Stockdale, the former Premier League goalkeeper, who made a crucial save from Humphrys to keep it level after the opening 45 minutes.

However, quarter of an hour into the second half, Humphrys took advantage of a mistimed leap from Tyler Cordner to race in behind. From there, he rounded Stockdale and tapped the ball home.

York did not go quietly though, with skipper Lenell John-Lewis twice unable to find the target with headers in the closing stages.

Instead, it was Callum McManaman, the player of the match at Wembley a decade ago, who could have wrapped up the tie, firing over eight minutes into stoppage time.

It did not matter though, with Wigan holding on to take their place in the draw for the Third Round alongside Shrewsbury Town.

By FA Staff