Ipswich Town progress into Emirates FA Cup second round with Bracknell Town win

Monday 07 Nov 2022
Pantuche Camara's goal sealed victory for the side 105 places above their non-league opponents

Kane Vincent-Young’s brilliance helped Ipswich Town beat brave Bracknell Town 3-0 to book an Emirates FA Cup second round tie at home to another non-league side in Buxton. 

The seventh-tier hosts were on the back foot for the whole of the first half but held firm in front of a packed house at Bottom Meadow to go in all square at the break.

However, the pressure eventually told in Sandhurst as three goals in 15 second-half minutes settled the tie in the favour of the League One high-flyers. 

Bracknell skipper Dan Bayliss’ unfortunate own goal broke the deadlock in the 66th minute before Freddie Ladapo and Panutche Camara put the result beyond doubt.

Former Spurs academy star Vincent-Young was named Emirates Player of the Match after assisting the first two goals from out on the left wing and revealed his side had to grit their teeth to get past stubborn opposition.

He said: “Credit to them, we knew it wasn’t going to be an easy game. We had to be patient and when the first goal went in, we got comfortable and the second two came.

“We knew what to expect really, it has been raining and it made the pitch a bit heavy. We knew we were going to be in for a fight. It took a bit longer than expected [to break them down] but we certainly knew it was going to be hard.

Emirates FA Cup

First Round proper

Monday 7 November

“We put together some really good moves and I missed a chance as well [in the first half] but it was just a case of being patient and we knew if we carried on playing our football it would come.

“We’ve got a big squad, everybody wants minutes, so we are looking forward to the second round now – it’s another game not to take for granted and it’s one to look forward to in front of our own fans.”

Kieran McKenna’s visitors are four points off the top of League One and exerted their dominance from the off against their Southern League Premier Division South opponents.

The part-timers worked incredibly hard in front of the home crowd in Sandhurst to keep Ipswich at bay as they unsurprisingly bossed possession and territory. 

Bracknell had goalkeeper Michael Eacott to thank for keeping them on level terms as he made a string of impressive saves in only their second-ever appearance at this stage of the competition.

However, Ladapo should have broken the deadlock in the 40th minute but Ipswich’s top-scorer, now with eight this season, dragged his shot wide of the post following a wonderful down the left by Kyle Edwards.

And Ipswich thought they should have had a penalty with the very last action of the half but the referee waved away appeals and blew for half-time.

Goals appeared inevitable after the break but Bracknell almost got one against the run of play with their first shot on target in the 57th minute as a neat breakaway led to Gary Abisogun’s effort but keeper Vaclav Hladky had it safely covered.

Ladapo had another good chance five minutes later, Eacott’s reaction safe maintaining parity, but that didn’t last long.

Immediately after sending one over the bar with an acrobatic effort at the right end, captain and supermarket delivery driver Bayliss got his feet in a mess and turned Vincent-Young’s devilish ball into his own net with 24 minutes left.

Seven minutes later, Ladapo finally got his goal after Vincent-Young teed him up perfectly for a tap-in. 

Camara rounded things off nicely nine minutes from time when substitute Wes Burns squared him the ball with the goal gaping to seal the Tractor Boys’ progression.

Monday night’s victory was only Ipswich’s third triumph in 24 FA Cup ties and their reward is the visit of National League South Buxton to Portman Road after they beat Merthyr Town 2-0 on Saturday.

By FA Staff