Waldron heroics propel Alvechurch to unforgettable Emirates FA Cup victory

Saturday 05 Nov 2022
Michael Fernandes' late strike helped fire National League South Farnborough to a thrilling triumph at League Two Sutton United

Danny Waldron’s double fired Alvechurch to a memorable Emirates FA Cup upset as the Southern League side stunned League One Cheltenham Town 2-1 on first round proper weekend.

Ian Long’s men, the lowest-ranked club left in the competition, pulled off a remarkable result at the Completely-Suzuki Stadium as Waldron struck either side of the break to complete a brilliant victory.

Ryan Jackson pulled one back for Wade Elliott’s hosts but Alvechurch, who currently sit 19th in the Southern League Premier Division Central, held on in Gloucestershire to keep their name in the hat ahead of Monday night’s second round draw.

Emirates FA Cup
  • First round proper
  • Saturday 5 November
Farnborough were another non-league side to spring a significant first round shock as two late goals stunned League Two Sutton United at Gander Green Lane.

The contest looked destined for a replay until Michael Fernandes struck in the 86th minute to trigger wild scenes among the National League South side’s travelling supporters.

And Francis Amartey then grabbed a second in stoppage-time to cap an unforgettable afternoon in South London for the Hampshire side.

Elsewhere, National League North club King’s Lynn Town also pulled off an unforgettable upset as they won 1-0 at Doncaster Rovers.

Super-sub Gold Omotayo headed home with just seven minutes remaining to fire the Norfolk club to a sizeable scalp in South Yorkshire.

National League North and South sides AFC Fylde and Chelmsford City both earned replays against Gillingham and Barnet, while non-league Chesterfield shocked League Two Northampton Town thanks to Armando Dobra’s early strike.

National League South side Chippenham Town were another club to cause a major upset as they reached the second round for the first time in their history with a 1-0 win against Lincoln City.

Joe Hanks’ goal just before the break proved decisive as League One Lincoln were unable to haul themselves back into the contest in Wiltshire.

League Two Grimsby Town put five past table-topping League One club Plymouth Argyle at Blundell Park as a brutal first-half blitz proved too hot for the Devon visitors to handle.

Brendan Kiernan scored twice while Michee Efete, Andy Smith and Anthony Glennon also netted to propel the hosts to an entertaining victory.

National League Solihull Moors held League Two Hartlepool Town to a gutsy 2-2 draw in the West Midlands, while National League South Weymouth also earned a replay at League Two AFC Wimbledon.

 League Two Walsall dumped League One Wycombe out with a 2-0 victory at Adams Park, with goals from midfielder Jacob Maddox and forward Isaac Hutchinson doing the damage in Buckinghamshire.

Elsewhere on a busy day of first round action, Kevin Phillips’ South Shields were unable cause an upset against League One Forest Green Rovers in front of the BBC television cameras.

Former Crystal Palace striker Connor Wickham struck either side of half-time in the day’s lunchtime kick-off, with an audacious lob from the halfway line in stoppage-time helping cap a professional away performance in the north-east.

Dagenham & Redbridge clinched a 1-0 win at Maidenhead United, Stevenage beat Gateshead 3-2 away from home and Ebbsfleet United toppled FC Halifax Town on another unforgettable day of Emirates FA Cup drama.

For a full list of all first round proper results, click here
And for all the details on the second round draw, click here

By FA Staff