Bell at the double to send Marlow into Emirates FA Cup first qualifying round

Saturday 20 Aug 2022
More than 200 teams were in action in the Emirates FA Cup preliminary round

Junaid Bell’s 90th-minute strike sealed Marlow’s win over local rivals Thame United as they booked their place in the first round qualifying of the Emirates FA Cup in front of the television cameras. 

In a game that was shown live on the BBC red button and online, Bell struck twice, the latter clinching a 3-1 success for Marlow

Dawid Rogalski had fired them into the lead after 22 minutes, with Bell doubling the advantage eight minutes before the break. 

But when David Pearce struck from the spot five minutes into the second half, it was all to play for. Bell calmed the nerves late on though, notching his second to send Marlow through. 

Elsewhere Holyport continued their run into uncharted territory as they got the better of Ascot United 2-1. 

Goals from Kickie Dzimba and Christian Johnson put the home side in charge but they were hanging on when Brendan Matthew pulled one back before keeper Ayoub and manager Sam Lock both saw red within the space of two minutes. 

Ascot had Harry Grant sent off three minutes later in a feisty encounter, and Holyport saw out the remaining quarter of an hour, plus nearly ten minutes of stoppage time, to reach the first round qualifying for the first time. 

Of the step six teams who were still in the competition, three fell by the wayside, but Wincanton Town are still in the competition after a 1-1 draw with Camberley Town, Connor Williams’ strike in first-half stoppage time enough to earn them a share of the spoils and a replay. 

One team who are definitely through are Hashtag United, who recorded their biggest-ever win in the competition, marching past Barton Rovers 3-0. 

Toby Aromolaran, of Love Island fame, opened the scoring for the visitors before Pedro Banks doubled their advantage from the spot. Alex Teniola then finished acrobatically to make it three on the stroke of half-time in a comfortable victory. 

A trio of sides making their first appearance at this stage of the competition will play replays, Buckhurst Hill drawing 1-1 with Stansted FC on Friday night, while Virginia Water managed the same scoreline against Eastbourne Town and St Panteleimon squandered their two-goal lead as they conceded a last-minute equaliser to Leverstock Green

By FA Staff