Fantastic Frome triumph in battle of nostalgia as history repeats itself in Somerset

Saturday 18 Sep 2021
Frome Town and Oxford City battled it out in pursuit of the famous old trophy for the first time since prior to the First World War

James Ollis and Joe O’Loughlin fired fantastic Frome Town into the third round of Emirates FA Cup qualifying as the Robins won the battle of nostalgia against Oxford City at Badgers Hill.

Not since November 1911 had the two sides met in the famous competition and almost 110 years on, Ollis and O’Loughlin’s first-half goals ensured history repeated itself in Somerset.

Frome triumphed 4-1 in the two sides’ last clash – before the First World War – and while Elliot Benyon gave the visitors a glimmer of hope this time round, it was not enough to prevent Danny Greaves’ Southern League South outfit from stunning their higher-tier opponents and keeping their name in the hat.

The 2021-22 Emirates FA Cup
  • Second round qualifying
  • 18-19 September 2021
The hosts’ two goalscorers combined to devastating effect for Frome’s first as Ollis latched on to the end of a smart cushioned header from O’Loughlin to beat his man and fire past goalkeeper Ben Dudzinski.

And it didn’t take long for Greaves’ resurgent outfit to double their lead as Rex Mannings found O’Loughlin to slam home emphatically just before the break.

David Oldfield’s National League South side rallied, however, pulling one back through Benyon’s back-post header with 15 minutes remaining to tee up a nerve-jangling finale.

But the eighth-tier minnows held on to cap an Emirates FA Cup day to savour and keep their adventure alive.

Connor Hall and Jacob Blyth’s first-half goals were not enough to haul last season’s giant-killers Chorley Town through as they were held to a 2-2 draw by Southport.

Chorley, who captured hearts last term by navigating their way to the fourth round proper, raced into a 2-0 lead at the break after Hall – who scored in last season’s third round win over Championship side Derby County – and Blyth’s first goal for the club got them off to a flyer.

But second-half goals from Connor Woods and a late leveller from Marcus Carver – against his former club – pegged the home side back and teed up a replay on Merseyside.

Elsewhere, Combined Counties Premier Division side Jersey Bulls also played out a 2-2 draw against Sutton Common Rovers in front of the national TV cameras.

The Bulls – who were only formed in the summer of 2019 – breezed past VCD Athletic in the previous round but will have to rely on a replay back on home soil to continue their fairytale.

Fellow Cup heroes Marine beat Warrington Town 3-0 as they kept their hopes of emulating last season’s run to the third round proper – where they lost against Jose Mourinho’s Tottenham Hotspur – alive. 

FA Trophy runners-up Hereford drew 2-2 at Lymington Town, Havant & Waterlooville beat Beaconsfield Town 5-3 while in another Saturday thriller, Wimborne Town battled past Basingstoke Town 4-3 away from home. 

Other entertaining encounters included Peterborough Sports’ 5-3 triumph over Great Wakering Rovers, Gateshead’s 6-2 win over Bradford (Park Avenue) and Folkestone Invicta’s 7-2 victory against Ashford Town.

Hornchurch, who memorably soared to FA Trophy glory at Wembley Stadium connected by EE last season, beat Walthamstow 4-1 at home while in Norfolk, Norwich United overcame a resilient Mildenhall Town 3-2 at Plantation Park.

There were also impressive wins for Brackley Town, Hayes & Yeading United, Aylesbury United and Western-super-Mare as a thrilling Emirates FA Cup continued on second round qualifying weekend.

For the full list of all results, click here.

By FA Staff