Stone Old Alleynians and Jersey Bulls continue their historic Emirates FA Cup runs

Saturday 04 Sep 2021
First round qualifying produced plenty of thrills and spills

Stone Old Alleynians and Jersey Bulls continued their historic Emirates FA Cup runs with contrasting victories in first round qualifying.

Stone, formed in 1962 and still made up of ex-pupils of a local Staffordshire grammar school, travelled to Anstey Nomads for their first ever match at this stage of the competition and came away with a 1-0 win thanks to Jack Tomlinson's early goal.

The visitors were indebted to goalkeeper Adam Alcock for a string of second-half saves and will now hope for a plum tie in second round qualifying.

The Emirates FA Cup

First Round Qualifying

4-5 September 2021


Jersey Bulls are enjoying their maiden FA Cup campaign and stayed firmly on the goal trail as they thumped VCD Athletic 5-1 in the day's early kick-off.

Fraser Barlow opened the scoring early on but VCD hit straight back as both teams found the net inside the first seven minutes.

Sol Solomon's brace gave the hosts a half-time cushion before late goals from Jake Prince and Luke Campbell capped a five-star display for the Channel Islanders, who reached this stage with 10-1 and 4-0 victories.

Three other sides making maiden first round qualifying appearances endured mixed fortunes. Kent-based Kennington beaten 3-0 at home by Carshalton Athletic while Mulbarton Wanderers and Sherwood Colliery earned replays.

Mulbarton led twice against Welwyn Garden City through Ben Thompson and James Page only to be pegged back while goals from Liam Theakstone and Gareth Curtis saw Sherwood come from two down against a Buxton side who play two divisions higher.

Two of the competition's leading scorers so far this season went head-to-head on Teesside as Marske United's Adam Boyes took on Seaham Red Star's Adam Lennox.

Lennox notched six goals across his side's first two FA Cup games this season but only Boyes will now have the chance to add to his tally, which he took to seven by bagging a brace in a convincing 6-0 win for the hosts.

It was not the only eye-catching result in the north-east. Bamber Bridge fired in six second-half goals in a 7-2 victory at West Allotment Celtic, Morpeth Town eased past Hyde United 6-1 while a last-minute Ryan Wignall strike gave last season's FA Cup heroes Marine a 2-1 win at Dunston UTS.

2019/20 Buildbase FA Vase winners Hebburn Town, meanwhile, ensured a happy trip back to South Tyneside by toppling higher-division Ashton United 1-0 courtesy of Amar Purewal's early effort.

Further south, Tim Berridge helped himself to four goals as Coalville Town beat AFC Rushden & Diamonds 5-2 while Jake Cass had an afternoon to remember as his hat-trick led Bishops Stortford to a 3-0 win over Lowestoft Town.

Toby Holmes also bagged a treble as Taunton Town won 8-1 at Shepton Mallet in an all-Somerset affair while Truro City ensured there will be Cornish representation in second round qualifying by seeing off Exmouth Town 3-1.

The crunch match on Merseyside between Bootle and FC United of Manchester ended 2-2, meaning both sides will try again at Broadhurst Park in one of several replays which will be required across the country.

Nuneaton Borough won't be among the teams needing another go, however, as they overcame Lichfield City 3-1 in the day's televised game.

All the goals came in the last 20 minutes at the City Ground, with Ryan Edmunds and Louis Baker putting the visitors in the driving seat before Max Black halved the deficit from the spot.

Jordan Goddard restored Boro's two-goal cushion, however, and ensured they will take their place in Monday's second round qualifying draw.

By FA Staff