Late Gundogan and De Bruyne goals edge Manchester City into Emirates FA Cup last four

Saturday 20 Mar 2021
Ilkay Gundogan notches Manchester City's first goal at Goodison Park

Manchester City’s bid for an unprecedented quadruple remains alive, after late goals from Ilkay Gundogan and Kevin De Bruyne earned a 2-0 win at Everton.

That sealed their progress into the Emirates FA Cup semi-finals and means the six-time Cup winners - who remain in contention to lift the Premier League, FA Cup, Carabao Cup and Champions League trophies - controlled much of their quarter-final clash against Carlo Ancelotti’s charges.

Neither team conjured up many chances of note in the first half, although Raheem Sterling forced Everton goalkeeper Joao Virginia into a good save after the break, before Gundogan and De Bruyne struck to earn City a place in the semi-finals for the third consecutive season.

Defeat for Everton sees their hunt for a place in the competition’s last four for the first time since 2016 come to an end, and marks their seventh successive loss against City in all competitions.

The visitors - who came into the clash on the back of 24 wins in their previous 25 games in all competitions - dominated possession in the early stages, with Phil Foden having a couple of shots blocked in the first five minutes.

Everton enjoyed their first sight of goal in the ninth minute after Ruben Dias fouled Richarlison on the left flank, but Lucas Digne’s in-swinging free-kick was dealt with comfortably by Zack Steffen.

City continued to push forward against Everton’s disciplined back line, but Sterling’s dipping cross fell too close to Virginia before the Toffees stopper calmly collected a strike from distance from the away No.7.

Richarlison hooked a shot over on the turn as the hosts looked to make a rare foray into the City box count, before Allan was shown the game’s first yellow card for a sloppy challenge on Gundogan.

While the home side gradually worked their way into the game both teams continued to struggle to create any clear-cut chances, though Steffen was called upon to deny Dominic Calvert-Lewin ten minutes before the break, with the net gaping.

Oleksandr Zinchenko was then alert to stop Yerry Mina’s header on the line as Everton continued to gain confidence, but City did have the last say of the half when Foden’s strike from range was deflected out for a corner.

Pep Guardiola’s men burst out of the blocks after the interval with both Sterling and Bernardo Silva looking lively, but Everton could have gone in front when Richarlison dragged a shot wide in the 57th minute.

Moments later, stand-in goalkeeper Virginia merited his selection with a fine save to deny Sterling’s low effort, to keep the tie goalless.

Foden again tried his luck from the edge of the box in the 66th minute after a clever turn but shot past the post, before Andre Gomes fired high and wide for Everton with a half volley.

As the clock ticked down towards full time, City turned up the heat on their opponents with Foden and Aymeric Laporte driving into the box but both finding themselves thwarted by Everton’s stern defence.

But with less than seven minutes remaining Everton’s resistance was finally broken, Gundogan heading home after Laporte’s shot was touched onto the crossbar by Virginia.

And substitute De Bruyne put gloss on the scoreline at the death, the Belgian smashing the ball into the roof of the net with his left foot to book his team’s spot at Wembley.

By FA Staff