Set out below is an update on our Council meeting which took place on 22 July 2021. This is known as the Summer Meeting and marks the start of the new Council Year.
The main highlights were as follows:
At the start of the new Council Year, all appointments to our Council from the various Associations and groups are noted. The new members of Council for this season are:
• Andrew Chaplin – representing Essex FA
• Ian Wild – representing Liverpool FA
• Yashmin Harun – representing London FA
• Mary Guest – representing Oxford University FA
• Martin Gilmour – representing Sheffield & Hallamshire FA
• Richard Neal – representing Suffolk FA
• Terence McCosh – representing Wiltshire FA
• Cliff Crown – Brentford FC, representing the Premier League
• Zoe Ward – Norwich City FC, representing the Premier League
• Fleur Robinson – jointly representing the Premier League and EFL
• Gavin Perry – Ashington FC, Division 1 Representative
• Brian Caldwell – Shrewsbury Town FC, Division 4 Representative
• Paul Douglas – Rotherham Utd FC, Division 5 Representative
• Craig Johnson – Aveley FC, Division 7 Representative
• Chris Paouros – Supporters’ Representative
• Alex Baker, Jimmy Khan, Chris Gordon, Robina Shah, Anwar Uddin, Aji Ajibola and Kim Mundy – new National Game Football Communities Representatives
The FA Chair and Leader of Council
The Council formally appointed Debbie Hewitt MBE as the new Chair of The FA and Leader of Council with effect from January 2022.
2020-21 Season Review
Mark Bullingham, our CEO, presented on a review of the 2020-21 season, highlighting some of the challenges we have faced in the game arising from the pandemic. Mark also presented on the main achievements against The FA’s strategic objectives.
Fan-Led Review of Football Governance
Polly Handford, our Director of Legal & Governance, presented on The FA’s submission to the Fan-Led Review, chaired by Tracey Crouch MP.
Council Member Survey
Council Members completed a survey earlier this year on a variety of issues relating to their roles on Council. Steve Johnson, CEO and County Secretary of the Royal Navy FA, presented an update of the actions taken since the results were presented in May, including a review of the induction process and training and development opportunities.
UEFA EURO 2020
Mark Burrows, our Chief Operating Officer, Liam Boylan, our Stadium Director, and Chris Bryant, our Head of Tournament Delivery, presented an operational overview of the matches hosted at Wembley, focussing on the events which occurred at the Final and the independent review to be led by Baroness Casey of Blackstock.