Chelsea and Southampton complete Emirates FA Cup quarter-final line-up

Thursday 11 Feb 2021
Tammy Abraham has scored four goals in this Emirates FA Cup season

The Emirates FA Cup quarter-final line-up is complete after Premier League sides Chelsea and Southampton became the final teams to progress from the fifth round.

Tammy Abraham scored the only goal as Chelsea edged past Championship side Barnsley, setting up a tie with another South Yorkshire side as they prepare to host Sheffield United.

Southampton have a South Coast derby to look forward to with a trip to AFC Bournemouth in their sights following a 2-0 win at Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Danny Ings and Stuart Armstrong were on target in the all-Premier League clash to set the Saints up for the last eight, with ties to be played on the weekend of March 20-21.

In the final tie of the round, Barnsley took the game to their Premier League opponents in the opening stages with Kepa Arrizabalaga needing to produce a superb stop to prevent Callum Brittain tapping home.

That continued until the break, with Conor Chaplin’s shot across goal inches away from being converted by Victor Adeboyejo.

Chelsea pushed forward more at the start of the second half with Antonio Rudiger planting his free header just wide of the post.

Their increasing enterprise paid dividends, Abraham tucking home his fourth goal of his FA Cup season after good work down the right from fellow England international Reece James.

The attacking hero then had to his defensive duties, and in some style, with substitute Michael Sollbauer denied an immediate impact when Abraham headed his goal-bound poke over the bar.

Barnsley weren’t done yet, continuing to pour forward in the closing stages, but the pivotal equaliser wasn’t forthcoming as they bowed out at the fifth-round stage.

Southampton, meanwhile, had only reached the quarter-finals once in the past 15 seasons, progressing to the last four in the 2017-18 season.

Their bid to add to that appearance started in good fashion, enjoying the better of the play at Molineux despite not leading at the break.

But the deadlock was broken in strange circumstances shortly after half time, with Ings’ initial shot being saved by John Ruddy before the ball ricocheted back off the striker and into the net. 

The goal was originally ruled out for offside but the decision was overturned as Wolves conceded for the first time this FA Cup season.

Chances weren’t hugely forthcoming for Nuno Espirito Santo's side but they thought they had a leveller with 12 minutes to go, Fraser Forster needing to react smartly to stop Adama Traore from tapping home.

That offered some confidence but Wolves’ Emirates FA Cup journey was over moments later, with Armstrong firing perfectly into the far corner when making the most of a defensive slip-up.

By FA Staff