Bernard sees Everton past Tottenham Hotspur in nine-goal Emirates FA Cup thriller

Wednesday 10 Feb 2021
Everton move into their first FA Cup quarter-final in five years

Bernard’s extra-time winner saw Everton prevail in a nine-goal thriller over Tottenham Hotspur 5-4 to book their place in the Emirates FA Cup quarter-finals. 

In a truly classic FA Cup clash, five goals were scored in a first half which included three Everton goals in seven minutes and, when Richarlison netted to make it 4-3 in the second half the tie appeared settled.

But, Harry Kane found an equaliser late on for Tottenham Hotspur to take the game into extra time where Carlo Ancelotti’s men claimed a famous victory thanks to Bernard’s left foot strike.

In a match which they did later on sparkle in, Everton started slowly and should have been behind to Erik Lamela’s towering header only for Robin Olsen to deny him with a brilliant fingertip save.

The hosts were behind minutes later though when Davinson Sanchez headed home for Tottenham Hotspur.

Hugo Lloris was then forced into a superb diving stop from a Dominic Calvert-Lewin effort before Olsen again prevented further Spurs goals as he beat away Son Heung-Min’s powerful strike.

The tie went up another notch during a crazy period before half-time, with Calvert-Lewin first equalising with a pinpoint shot before Richarlison shot a precise effort from just outside the box past Lloris to give Everton the lead.

Then, Gylfi Sigurdsson added a third in the space of just seven minutes from the penalty spot after Calvert-Lewin had been tripped by Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg.

In the dying embers of the first half there was time yet for the visitors to pull a goal back with Erik Lamela cheekily dinking Olsen to cap a truly remarkable opening 45 minutes.

Seeking a way back into the tie, Spurs boss Jose Mourinho brought Kane off the bench early in the second half while the influential Calvert-Lewis limped off in the other direction through injury.

And the extraordinary tie continued to deliver when Sanchez scored his second from close range to level things at 3-3.

Tottenham were now on top and the hosts had to scramble the ball away with Kane ready to shoot, but a second of the night for Richarlison looked to have sealed things as he fired in off the post with the visitors defence having been carved open.

But, cometh the hour, cometh the man as Kane bundled Son’s brilliant cross over the line to level yet again with the eighth goal of the game to send proceedings into extra time.

The additional 30 minutes began in typically frenetic fashion with both sides attacking at pace, Kane shooting straight at Olsen.

And a ninth, and winning, goal came seven minutes into extra time through substitute Bernard, who smartly finished into the far corner inside the box with his left foot.

Into the second half of extra time and Everton almost had a sixth when Michael Keane headed wide from a Sigurdsson free-kick.

And Kane had a guilt edge chance to take the contest to penalties with two minutes of extra time remaining but his header was off target and Everton march on.

There was more drama at the King Power Stadium where Kelechi Iheanacho scored a 94th minute winner to see Leicester City to a 1-0 win over Brighton & Hove Albion and into the Emirates FA Cup quarter-finals.

Substitute Iheanacho found himself in the right place at the right time deep into stoppage time to turn in Youri Tielemans’ inviting cross and break the hearts of the Seagulls, sending Brendan Rodgers’ side into a second successive quarter-final appearance in the competition.

Neither side registered a shot on target in the first half but Adam Lallana did have the two best chances for Brighton – his two efforts not managing to force a save out of Leicester keeper Danny Ward.

The second half began with the visiting side in the ascendancy again and Andi Zeqiri curled his shot narrowly past the post.

He was then denied by Ward before Leicester’s Cengiz Under had his effort on goal saved by Brighton keeper Christian Walton.

With extra time and penalties looking a real possibility though, a quick corner saw Iheanacho snatch the tie for the Foxes.

Elsewhere, Billy Sharp’s penalty sent Sheffield United into the Emirates FA Cup last eight for the second successive season as they saw off 10-man Championship Bristol City 1-0 at Bramall Lane.

In a game where the hosts had the better of the chances, the crucial moment came when referee Robert Jones sent off Alfie Mawson for handball in the City penalty area, with Sharp putting the resulting penalty away.

The visiting side started well and saw Tomas Kalas’ effort well saved by Blades keeper Aaron Ramsdale.

But it was the Premier League side who came closest to scoring in the first half when immediately down the other end Max Lowe beat Max O’Leary in the Bristol City net but found the crossbar with his one-on-one effort.

Dean Holden’s side continued to look lively though and they managed several periods of sustained pressure but without finding the finish to match as the sides went in goalless at half time.

In the second half, Nahki Wells blew a golden opportunity for his side when he decided to shoot, and had his effort easily saved, instead of passing to the free man in the middle of the box.

Then, David McGoldrick almost broke the deadlock when his first-time effort from 25 yards out just drifted wide of the Bristol City goal.

Again Sheffield United came at their Championship opponents and were denied, McGoldrick’s effort blocked on the line before hitting the bar.

But the decisive moment came when Mawson was sent off for handball in the box and the home side converted the penalty through Sharp.

With time running out they should have had a second to kill off the game too as Ollie Burke skipper around O’Leary only to have his shot hacked away from the goalline, but it didn’t matter as Chris Wilder’s side booked a place in the last eight.

Earlier in the evening, a quickfire second half double saw Manchester City comfortably through to the Emirates FA Cup quarter-finals as they saw off Swansea City 3-1 at the Liberty Stadium.

City were dominant for large parts of the contest and progress thanks to goals from Kyle Walker, Raheem Sterling and Gabriel Jesus despite Morgan Whittaker’s late consolation for the Swans.

The victory saw Pep Guardiola’s side set a new English top-flight record for consecutive victories in all competitions with 15. 

As expected, the visitors got out of the gates quickly and dominated the ball with 83 per cent possession, but a determined Swansea City side proved tough to break down in the early goings.

Jesus came close to opening the scoring in the 15th minute when he fired his shot from eight-yards out over the bar, and then Freddy Woodman was forced into a strong acrobatic save to deny Ferran Torres’ well-hit effort.

All their domination paid off when Manchester City broke the deadlock on the half hour mark, Walker’s low cross evading everyone, including Woodman, to dribble into the net.

The hosts responded well to going behind though, Jay Fulton coming close to an equaliser when his header went just wide of the post before a good chance for Jamal Lowe went abegging in the box when it was blocked by a City defender.

After the break, Guardiola’s men turned on the style and added a second just two minutes into the second half when Sterling fired home after he was found by a brilliant pass from Rodrigo.

Two became three instantly as Jesus managed to find the net this time, clinically finishing after the ball had found its way to him following Bernardo Silva’s header.

With the tie surely wrapped up, a number of City’s key stars were replaced on the hour mark but it was a substitute for the Swans who made his mark.

With just over ten minutes to go 20-year-old Whittaker delightfully spun his way inside the City penalty area before coolly slotting home.

But that would prove just a consolation effort as the six-time FA Cup winners professionally saw out the remainder of the game to safely progress into the last eight.

By FA Staff