Tshimanga, Smith and Rhead book clash with Millwall and end Canvey Island's dream run

Monday 30 Nov 2020
Boreham Wood had reached the second round on three previous occasions but went one better against a valiant Canvey Island

Boreham Wood reached the third round of the Emirates FA Cup for the first time in their history after an impressive performance against eighth-tier Canvey Island at the Frost Hire Stadium.

The hosts, who toppled Banbury United in the first round proper, were bidding to emulate their third round heroics of 19 seasons ago but were halted by a polished display from Luke Garrard’s side.

First-half goals from Kabongo Tshimanga and Kane Smith propelled the visitors into the lead and while a brilliant display from goalkeeper Bobby Mason kept Canvey Island in it, a late goal from the excellent Matt Rhead booked a third round clash with Millwall.

Canvey Island v Boreham Wood
  • Emirates FA Cup
  • Second round
  • 7:45pm, Monday 30 November 2020
  • The Frost Hire Stadium
The result ended Canvey Island’s - who had not played a competitive match since beating Banbury three weeks ago - memorable Emirates FA Cup run and ensured Boreham Wood joined Chorley, Stockport County and Marine as one of the four non-league teams in the third round.

Garrard’s National League side came out of the blocks quickly and got their reward for their fast start after just seven minutes.

Gus Mafuta threaded the ball through to Tshimanga, who swivelled expertly on the edge of the box to fire low past Mason in the Canvey Island net.

Mark Bentley’s hosts rallied after their early setback but it was all Boreham Wood throughout the opening exchanges, who looked dangerous in possession through the likes of Tshimanga and Rhead.

And they doubled their lead in the 28th minute when Smith rifled home via a Canvey Island deflection.

The visitors’ full-back capped a fluent team move and after receiving the ball on the right of the area, unleashed a fizzing drive which arrowed in off the inside of a post. 

The interval came at a good time for the eighth-tier outfit but the away side continued to look dangerous as the second half unfolded.

A fine save from Mason, who made a string of excellent stops throughout, repelled a Sorba Thomas free-kick before the Canvey Island keeper then thwarted Tshimanga scoring his second.

Mason continued to hold firm throughout but was unable to halt Boreham Wood’s third when Rhead scored in the closing stages.

The visitors’ forward was superb across the duration of the contest and got the goal he deserved after latching on to the end of Tshimanga’s cross with under ten minutes to play.

Mason denied Rhead with another fine stop but the away side marched on to make Emirates FA Cup history and book a date against Championship team Millwall on home soil.

By FA Staff