Eighth-tier Marine beat Havant and Waterlooville to reach Emirates FA Cup third round

Sunday 29 Nov 2020
Marine's victory means they've reached the third round for only the second time in their history

Eighth-tier Marine scored a dramatic 120th-minute winner to beat Havant and Waterlooville 1-0 and reach the third round of the Emirates FA Cup for only the second time in their history.  

Honours were even for most of the contest at Rossett Park but the tie was turned on its head when Anthony Straker was sent off late in normal time for a second bookable offence.  

That meant the visitors played all of extra time with just ten men but it took the Northern Premier League Division One North West side until the very last minute to make their numerical advantage count.  

From a Marine free-kick aimed at the back post Anthony Miley’s header back across goal found captain Niall Cummins who slotted home from close range to spark jubilant scenes for Kevin Lynch’s men.  

League Two Stevenage produced another shock as they edged past League One leaders Hull City 6-5 on penalties at Broadhall Way.  

The visitors, beaten finalists in 2014, had earlier taken the lead from the penalty spot through Tom Eaves.  

However, substitute Elliott List deservedly levelled 11 minutes from time for a determined Boro and with neither side able to find a winner in extra time the contest went to penalty kicks.  

On loan Chelsea goalkeeper Jamie Cumming pulled off the two vital saves in the shootout to deny Eaves and Sean McLoughlin as the hosts triumphed to put themselves into the third-round draw.  

Elsewhere, League Two Crawley Town came from behind to beat League One AFC Wimbledon 2-1 to reach the third round for the first time in seven years.  

Joe Pigott headed home unmarked in the 22nd minute to give Glyn Hodges side the lead but that only lasted for a mere eight minutes.  

Ashley Nadesan equalised for the Reds with a neat lobbed finish after he had been found by a brilliant ball from Jack Powell.  

And then, having come through a chaotic round one tie with Torquay United after similarly falling behind, Crawley found a winner when Max Watters scrambled home early in the second half.  

The visitors had to survive a late onslaught as Pigott and Steve Seddon went close to making it 2-2 but Crawley held on to put their name in the third-round hat.  

Bristol Rovers were big winners as they hit non-league Darlington for six at Memorial Stadium.  

The hosts hit four goals in the space of 18 first half minutes against opponents 62 places lower than them in the football pyramid through James Daly, Josh Hare, Luke Leahy’s penalty and Erhun Oztumer.  

Leahy added a second, also from the penalty spot, and Sam Nicholson headed home in the second half to give Paul Tisdale his first victory since taking charge of Rovers and equal a club record biggest win in the competition.  

Meanwhile, Stockport County, Mansfield Town and Shrewsbury Town all had to do it the hard way in extra time as they saw off Yeovil Town, Dagenham & Redbridge and Oxford City respectively.  

Stockport had Connor Jennings to thank for his 100th minute winner as Jim Gannon’s side qualified for the third round for the first time since the 2006/07 season with a 3-2 win.  

Yeovil had taken the lead in the second minute through Matthew Warburton’s low strike but John Rooney levelled from the penalty spot before half-time.  

The visitors again took the lead when Luke Wilkinson headed in but Ash Palmer scrambled home minutes later to force an additional 30 minutes.  

Nicky Maynard dramatically scored in stoppage time in extra time as Mansfield avoided an upset against National League Dagenham & Redbridge with a 2-1 victory.  

Paul McCallum had given the visitors a first-half lead at Field Mill but Harry Charsley equalised soon after.  

And Daniel Udoh was the hero for Shrewsbury as the League One side narrowly beat National League South Oxford City 1-0 in a contest which saw both sides reduced to ten men in the 81st minute thanks to a clash between Aaron Pierre and James Roberts.  

MK Dons had Cameron Jerome to thank as his late winner gave his side a 1-0 victory over National League Barnet.  

Jerome turned Scott Fraser’s cross into the back of the net from close range eight minutes from time to settle a cagey encounter.  

And Doncaster Rovers earned their safe third round passage with a 2-1 victory over Carlisle United.  

Ben Whiteman scored twice in the first half as Doncaster survived a tense end to the contest after Jon Mellish got one back 12 minutes from time.  
By FA Staff