National League North side Chorley shock Peterborough in Emirates FA Cup second round

Saturday 28 Nov 2020
Chorley celebrate their winning goal against Peterborough in the Emirates FA Cup second round

National League North side Chorley stunned League One high-flyers Peterborough United to advance to the third round of the Emirates FA Cup for the first time in their history.

Two goals in the space of three second-half minutes from Connor Hall and Lewis Baines sealed a superb turnaround from the non-League visitors, who triumphed 2-1 having gone behind to Jack Taylor's early opener.

Harry Cardwell spurned the chance to add a third from the spot but Chorley, who knocked out 2013 winners Wigan Athletic in the first round, held on to etch their names into the history books.

They will now join eight other sides in eagerly awaiting Monday evening's third round draw after a high-scoring Saturday of second round ties.

The early kick-off between Morecambe and Solihull Moors set the tone as the Shrimps won 4-2 after extra-time to progress to the third round for the first time since 2003.

The National League visitors took the lead against their League Two hosts when Kyle Hudlin broke the deadlock in the 19th minute.

Cole Stockton's quickfire double turned the game on its head but an equaliser from former Morecambe man Jordan Cranston sent the tie to extra-time, when John O'Sullivan and a Mitch Hancox own goal saw Derek Adams' side come out on top.

2008 winners Portsmouth continued their progress in this season's competition by hitting King's Lynn Town for six at Fratton Park.

Kenny Jackett's men took a two-goal lead into the break and ruthlessly added to it in the second half against their National League opponents, who replied with a consolation goal from Dayle Southwell.

Six different players found the net in the 6-1 triumph for the League One hosts, who will now look to advance past the third round for the third straight season.

Blackpool, who lifted the FA Cup in 1953, made similarly smooth progress as they won 4-0 at ten-man Harrogate Town.

All the goals came in the second half at the CNG Stadium, with Mark Beck's own goal followed by strikes from Grant Ward, Jordan Lawrence-Gabriel and Dan Kemp, while Kevin Lokko was sent off for the hosts late on.

Two Devon sides, Plymouth Argyle and Exeter City, will be in the hat after both recorded victories on Saturday.

The Pilgrims, semi-finalists in 1983-84, beat fellow League One side Lincoln City 2-0 at Home Park courtesy of goals from Luke Jephcott and Ben Reeves while Matt Taylor's Grecians sprung a surprise at Priestfield.

Hosts Gillingham took an early lead through Vadaine Oliver but Exeter, who play a division below the Gills, hit back through Nicky Law and a Joel Randall brace and held on for a 3-2 win after Dominic Samuel set up a grandstand finish.

There were three all-League Two ties which resulted in victories for Newport County, Oldham Athletic and Cheltenham Town.

Newport, currently top of the fourth tier, made their man advantage count at Rodney Parade after visitors Salford City had Brandon Thomas-Asante sent off early in the second half.

Jamie Proctor, Padraig Amond and Saikou Janneh went on to find the target as Michael Flynn's side closed out a 3-0 success and ensured Mickey Demetriou's early penalty miss did not prove costly.

The Welsh outfit have now made it to the third-round stage in each of the past four seasons and memories will still be fresh from their run to the fifth round in 2018-19.

Harry Kewell's Oldham came from behind to knock out Bradford City, who took the lead when Clayton Donaldson slotted home an early penalty.

Conor McAleny levelled it up and Danny Rowe's screamer from distance two minutes into the second half sealed the Latics' progress.

Cheltenham needed extra-time to get past Crewe Alexandra after a 1-1 draw in 90 minutes. George Lloyd's goal early in the additional 30 minutes proved decisive and ensured the hosts will play in the third round for the first time since 2013.

By FA Staff