Teenager Curtis Jones lights up Merseyside derby in Sunday's Emirates FA Cup action

Sunday 05 Jan 2020
Curtis Jones' goal was the first of his professional career

Teenager Curtis Jones etched his name into Liverpool's history books by scoring a spectacular winner to edge the Merseyside derby and secure a place in the Emirates FA Cup fourth round.

Jurgen Klopp named a young side to play at Anfield and it was visitors Everton who had the better share of the chances but Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Mason Holgate and Richarlison all saw efforts saved by Reds goalkeeper Adrian.

In the away dugout Carlo Ancelotti, who won the FA Cup in 2010 with Chelsea, used practically everything at his disposal to try and gain leverage over the Reds but in the end it took something special to settle it.

And it came from 18-year-old Jones, who, with 20 minutes remaining, picked his spot in Jordan Pickford’s top-right corner and sent a beautiful curling strike beyond the keeper’s outstretched arm, crashing down off the underside of the crossbar and over the line.

Meanwhile Middlesbrough manager Jonathan Woodgate forced a replay against his old club Tottenham Hotspur, who fielded a full-strength side but could only salvage a 1-1 draw at the Riverside. 

Having played for Boro on three separate occasions, Woodgate will have felt every part of Ashley Fletcher’s well-taken opener.

But Brazilian Lucas Moura, who stood out for Jose Mourinho's side, headed a Serge Aurier cross home to equalise and force a replay at back at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. 

Despite there being 104 places between Sheffield United and AFC Fylde in the national football pyramid, it was by no means a walkover as the top-flight Blades progressed via a nervy 2-1 win.

Fylde were the last non-League side left in the competition - appearing in the third round for the first time in their history – and they looked to be in trouble when Callum Robinson opened the scoring after just eight minutes. 

But, after journeyman striker Leon Clarke had doubled the lead, Jordan Williams sparked a comeback only to fall just short of the mark and send the Coasters back to their National League relegation battle. 

Queens Park Rangers produced the biggest winning margin of the round so far with their 5-1 victory over Swansea City and at times looked to be having their own goal-of-the-tournament competition. 

West Ham loanee Jordan Hugill scored either side of Bright Osayi-Samuel in the first half but Lee Wallace and Josh Scowen both produced stunning volleys late on to seal an emphatic win for the Hoops. 

The Hammers themselves made it past Gillingham with a 2-0 victory thanks to goals from a pair of Pablos - firstly veteran defender Zabaleta and then summer signing Fornals - to wrap things up. 

Chelsea’s goalscorers will have been hoping that Gareth Southgate had an eye on their 2-0 victory over Nottingham Forest with Callum Hudson-Odoi and Ross Barkley both on the scoresheet. 

Meanwhile former England man and record goalscorer Wayne Rooney was back in FA Cup action with Derby County and helped his new side progress with Chris Martin’s first-half winner enough to earn a 1-0 win at the expense of ten-man Crystal Palace

Another game settled by a solitary strike was West Bromwich Albion’s 1-0 win over Charlton Athletic with Kenneth Zohore the only man to get the ball over the line. 

However there were some goalkeeping heroics from Addicks stopper Dillon Phillips to deny Chris Brunt, and youngster Josh Davison almost forced a replay when his overhead kick stuck the crossbar late on. 

Elsewhere, Northampton Town made light work of Burton Albion at the Pirelli Stadium with a 4-2 win and Coventry City twice came from behind to force a replay against League One rivals Bristol Rovers following their 2-2 draw. 

And Championship strugglers Barnsley made sure there would be no upset at Gresty Road with a late flourish of goals to beat Crewe Alexandra 3-1.

Jacob Brown scored the first goal of the afternoon in the third minute but the League Two hosts equalised through Paul Green after the break before Conor Chaplin restored the lead and Luke Thomas cheekily pinched a late goal off his mate Kenny Dougall, after his 90-yard clearance looked goalbound. 

And there was plenty of action during Saturday’s fixtures, while Arsenal and Leeds United will wrap up the third round weekend on Monday night.

All of the day’s games kicked off a minute later than usual in support of our Heads Up campaign, which aims to use the power of football to generate the biggest-ever conversation about mental health.

By Tom Dean