Nahki Wells bundles home to earn QPR another crack at Portsmouth

Saturday 26 Jan 2019
Portsmouth and QPR will have to meet again
Adam-McGroarty I am a multimedia journalism student at Bournemouth University, where I started in September 2018. I produce radio shows and articles at uni, but the FA Young Reporters’ Club gives me a platform to apply my skills to a wider audience in matchday situations.

Portsmouth and Queens Park Rangers played out a 1-1 draw at Fratton Park in the fourth round of the Emirates FA Cup.

Pompey manager Kenny Jackett made three changes from his side’s 2-1 defeat by Oxford United last Saturday. Dion Donohue, Louis Dennis and Brett Pitman all came in but Jamal Lowe was suspended.

QPR opted for two changes to the side that lost 4-1 to Preston as Ryan Manning and Aramide Oteh were brought into the fold.

Portsmouth 1-1 QPR
  • Emirates FA Cup
  • Fourth Round
  • Saturday 26 January
The visitors perhaps created more chances in the early period but Jack Whatmough and Matthew Clarke comfortably dealt with aerial balls up against on-loan Burnley forward Nahki Wells.

Luke Freeman’s deliveries were creating chances for QPR with headers falling to Oteh, however he was unable to meet any of Freeman’s crosses with any power, leaving Craig MacGillivray to gather the ball.

The home side did have the ball in the net just before half time, however the goal was ruled out for a foul on QPR’s Joel Lynch. Lee Brown played in a low cross and Lynch was impeded in the process of Pitman tapping the ball past Lumley from close range.

Pompey started the second half on the front foot, creating an excellent opportunity to take the lead. Dennis played in a chipped pass to Pitman, who took his chance first time, but the effort was just too high.

Portsmouth took the lead in the 63rd minute with a little help from QPR defender Joel Lynch. Lee Brown whipped a cross into the area which Lynch tried to clear at his near post, but he inadvertently directed it beyond goalkeeper Joe Lumley.

Rangers boss Steve McClaren responded with two attacking substitutions, introducing Bright Samuel and Matt Smith.

The positive changes had an immediate effect as QPR found an equaliser with 20 minutes left to play. It was scrappy, but Wells took full advantage of a goalmouth scramble to convert from close range.

The two sides will meet again at Loftus Road.

By Adam McGroarty FA Young Reporters' Club