Man City run riot as they surge past Nottingham Forest in the FA Youth Cup

Friday 18 Jan 2019
The pre-match formalities
 Jack Heale

by Jack Heale: “I am currently studying Journalism at the University of Salford and working as a freelance football writer for various outlets, including The FA Young Reporters’ Club, with the ambition of becoming a fully qualified sports journalist.”

Manchester City eased past Nottingham Forest in the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup.

The game was intense from the first minute with both sides looking to get an early opener – and it was the hosts who obliged.

England youth-teamer Tommy Doyle, whose grandfathers Glyn Pardoe and the late Mike Doyle both helped City to FA Cup glory back in 1969, whipped in a corner that Taylor Harwood-Bellis volleyed into the net.

Man City 4-1 Nottm Forest
  • FA Youth Cup
  • Fourth Round
  • Friday 18 January
  • Academy Stadium
Among a spell of dominant possession, a loose ball nearly caught City out as Jeremie Frimpong played the ball back to Louie Moulden who chested and attempted to play it over Arvin Appiah’s head, but instead, the kick rebounded off Appiah and very nearly crept in.

However, City would not let Forest back in the game that easily as they extended their lead soon after. Taylor Richards laid a free-kick off to Doyle, who pushed the ball more centrally for Richards to strike, the effort deflecting off a loose Forest leg and looping into the far corner.

Just before the half-hour mark, Nabil Touaizi was played through and finished calmly to all but slam the door shut on the Reds’ hopes of a comeback.

But even with the three-goal deficit, Forest tried to put up a fight. Their golden chance came when Appiah dispossessed Doyle in the middle of the park. He fed the ball through to William Swan but Moulden was equal to it.

The snow was to make its impact as it looked to be slowing down play but it could not stop City.

The home side continued to control possession and they eventually found a fourth goal. Richards threaded a perfectly-weighted through ball to Ben Knight, who squared it to Touaizi to finish for his brace.

The visitors managed to nab a consolation from the penalty spot after Harwood-Bellis collided with Brennan Johnson inside the box late on. Johnson dusted himself down and buried the spot kick.

But City prevailed and they now face Derby County in round five.

By Jack Heale FA Young Reporters' Club at Academy Stadium