Twelve-time winners Manchester United are safely through to the fourth round of the Emirates FA Cup after a comfortable 2-0 victory over Reading at Old Trafford.
Juan Mata scored a penalty and Romelu Lukaku finished from close range as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer recorded a fifth straight win as the Reds’ caretaker manager.
The shock of the day came at Gillingham's Priestfield Stadium where Elliott List's 81st-minute strike dumped Premier League Cardiff City, Finalists in 2008, out of the competition.
Elsewhere, a Billy Kee goal allowed the Gills' League One rivals Accrington Stanley to knock out 1978 winners Ipswich Town.
Also in the hat for round four are AFC Wimbledon, who edged a five-goal thriller at Fleetwood Town courtesy of Kwesi Appiah added-time winner.
Premier League sides West Ham United, Brighton & Hove Albion, Burnley, Everton and holders Chelsea also won on Saturday while Frank Lampard's Derby County fought back from 2-0 down to earn a replay against Southampton.
The fourth round draw will take place at Molineux on Monday night.
Fact and stats:
- Chelsea have progressed from The FA Cup third round in each of the last 21 seasons since losing to Manchester United in 1997-98.
- AFC Wimbledon are into The FA Cup fourth round for the first time in the club’s history.
- Andy Barcham’s goal for AFC Wimbledon was his first in The FA Cup since scoring a brace for Gillingham against Stockport County in December 2008 – 10 years and 27 days ago.
- Middlesbrough registered their biggest FA Cup win since January 1997 (6-0 v Chester City) with their 5-0 win over Peterborough United.
- Middlesbrough have progressed from 22 of their last 24 FA Cup ties against sides from a lower division, doing so on the last eight occasions.
- Ipswich Town have been eliminated from The FA Cup at the third round stage in each of the last nine seasons, a run stretching back to the 2010-11 season.
- Everton have progressed from each of their last 10 FA Cup ties against non-Premier League sides.
- Andy Cook has scored in all three rounds of the Emirates FA Cup this season for Walsall (three goals).
- Tom Lawrence has scored in the Emirates FA Cup third round in two of the last three seasons (for Ipswich in 2016-17 and Derby in 2018-19).
- Jack Marriott has had a hand in 10 goals in his last eight starts in the Emirates FA Cup (eight goals, two assists).
- Both of Michael Bostwick’s FA Cup goals have come against Premier League opposition – for Stevenage against Newcastle in January 2011 and today for Lincoln against Everton.
- Josh Magennis became the first player to score an FA Cup hat-trick for Bolton Wanderers since Dean Holdsworth in January 2001 against Scunthorpe United.