MK Dons through to Emirates FA Cup second round after win at Hyde United

Friday 03 Nov 2017
Hyde United were knocked out by MK Dons

Chuks Aneke shone for MK Dons as they defeated Hyde United on the eighth-tier side’s first appearance in the Emirates FA Cup first round for 23 years.

Hyde held off their League One opponents for 13 minutes until Aidan Nesbitt broke the deadlock with a stunning curling strike from the edge of the box.

But the trickle soon became a flood as the hosts let in three more goals in front of a 3,500 sell-out crowd.

A free-kick from just outside the box allowed Aneke to double their lead on half-time before Ethan Ebanks-Landell scored from close range off a corner after the break.

Emirates FA Cup
  • First Round
  • Friday 3rd November, 2017
  • By Becky Grey

And the fourth and final goal came just six minutes later from the boot of Ed Upson after an impressive break from Aneke.

But it was League Two which reigned supreme in the other two matches of the night as Port Vale defeated Oxford United 4-2 and Notts County saw off Bristol Rovers 2-0.

All seemed well for Rovers as they took an early 2-0 lead, with Joe Partington sending a cross in for Liam Sercombe to head the ball into the net and open the scoring.

Just four minutes later Stuart Sinclair added the second, finding himself unmarked in the six-yard box on a corner to score a header of his own.

But the Magpies soon repaid the favour, as Ryan Yates scored two goals in two minutes, both with the aid of Carl Dickinson.

And two more would come in the second half, the first from Jon Stead and the second from Jorge Grant in a dramatic night at Meadow Lane.

Oxford United had not been eliminated in the first round since 2011, but Port Vale went ahead in their tie through Gavin Gunning, his first goal for the side.

Neil Aspin’s men upped the pressure as the game went on and Oxford keeper Simon Eastwood did well to deal with the home side’s many attempts.

But Tom Pope eventually dealt the decisive blow for the Valiants, picking up Danny Pugh’s cross and finding the goal at the near post.

By FA Staff