Lincoln City reach last 16 of The Emirates FA Cup after a thrilling day of action

There were two FA Cup shocks in Saturday's 3pm kick-offs, and one close call at White Hart Lane

Saturday 28 Jan 2017
Lincoln City ensured there will be a non-League side in The Emirates FA Cup fifth round

Lincoln City stormed into The Emirates FA Cup fifth round proper on Saturday, as they toppled Championship leaders Brighton & Hove Albion at Sincil Bank.

The National League side, fresh from their third round replay victory over Ipswich Town, ensured they will be in Monday’s draw for the last-16, after a 3-1 victory over Chris Hughton’s team.

The Emirates FA Cup
  • Third Round Proper
  • 3pm, Saturday 28 January 2017
  • Winners receive £90,000 from FA prize fund

It had looked as though things were going the Seagulls’ way in the first half when Richie Towell put them ahead.

But Danny Cowell’s side bounced back after the break as a penalty from Alan Power brought them level before on-loan Chelsea defender Fikayi Tomori turned home an own-goal on his debut to put the non-League team in front.

The Imps weren’t finished there either, as they made it a more comfortable last few minutes for their fans when Theo Robinson completed the scoring in the 85th minute.

Elsewhere, there was late heartbreak for Wycombe Wanderers at White Hart Lane, as the League Two side were seconds away from taking Tottenham Hotspur to a replay.

Gareth Ainsworth’s men made a stunning start to the game by taking a two-goal lead in the first half thanks to a double from Paul Hayes, with his second coming from the penalty spot.

Heung-Min Son reduced the arrears on the hour mark before Vincent Janssen brought them back level from the spot four minutes later.

Wycombe weren’t finished though as they edged back ahead through Garry Thompson’s 83rd-minute goal.

But when Dele Alli came off the bench to add an equaliser in the 89th minute, the Chairboys thought they’d done enough to take Mauricio Pochettino’s team back to Adams Park for a replay, only for Son to pop up in the 97th minute to steal a late winner and end a thrilling game.

Oxford United provided another Cup upset at the Kassam Stadium, as they comfortably saw off Championship high-fliers Newcastle United by 3-0.

After a goal-less first half, the hosts took less than a minute to open the scoring after the break through Kane Hemmings.

The Magpies spurned an opportunity to level things up soon after when Aleksandar Mitrovic missed a penalty, before further strikes from Curtis Nelson and debutant Toni Martinez completed the scoring to send Michael Appleton's League One side into the hat for the next stage.

Manchester City’s FA Cup record in the capital remains impressive this term, as goals from Raheem Sterling, Leroy Sane and Yaya Toure saw them beat Crystal Palace by 3-0 at Selhurst Park, after Pep Guardiola's side previously knocked West Ham United out at the London Stadium in the third round.

There was to be no upset in west London either, as Chelsea ran out comfortable 4-0 winners over near-neighbours Brentford.

An early goal from Willian kicked things off before Pedro doubled their advantage with just over 20 minutes on the clock. Further goals from Branislav Ivanovich and Michy Batshuayi in the second half concluded a comprehensive win for Antonio Conte’s men.

It wasn’t quite so one-sided at the Riverside Stadium, where Middlesbrough had to settle for a 1-0 scoreline against League Two's Accrington Stanley. It took a strike from Stewart Downing in the 69th minute to see Aitor Karanka’s side into the fifth round.

Burnley were also made to work hard for their 2-0 victory by Bristol City at Turf Moor. The Championship side made the trip north following a poor run of form in the league and provided a stern test for Sean Dyche’s side.

But a Sam Vokes goal, his 50th for the Clarets, just before the break and a strike from Steven Defour in the 68th minute proved to be enough to send them into the last 16.

And just nine miles down the road from Turf Moor, Blackburn Rovers were comfortable winners in their Lancashire derby against Blackpool and former boss Gary Bowyer.

An early goal from Sam Gallagher set Rovers on their way before a 30-yard stunner from Elliott Bennett doubled the advantage in the first half to seal progress for the Championship outfit.

Finally, Huddersfield Town made the short trip across the Pennines to Rochdale and comfortably avoided an upset, as goals from debutant Collin Quaner, Izzy Brown and a brace from Michael Hefele secured a 4-0 win at Spotland.

Monday’s fifth round proper draw takes place on Monday 30 January, live on the BBC’s One Show.

By Nicholas Veevers